Dare to Wear Colored Skinny Jeans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

I just recently invested in a pair of bright red skinny jeans after searching long and hard for just the right style, fit, and color and also balancing different opinions from guys and girls alike. Although I have yet to wear them proudly around campus, I have several ideas in mind as to how to pair such flashy pants with other clothing and accessories and ultimately avoid looking like a fire hydrant. Dressed up (or down!) correctly, colored skinny jeans can take your wardrobe to the next level by giving your clothes a stylish and unexpected pop of color. Skinny jeans have been a fashion staple for years, but brightly colored ones just recently emerged as a fashion trend. Brave enough to try this look for yourself? While the options for wearing these pants may seem limiting, don’t be intimidated by the tight fit or bright hue! Picking the perfect pair and stylizing them well can make you feel bold and confident. Many stores carry variations on this hot trend so you can find the pair that’s right for you.

Having scoured the mall, department stores, and even the Internet for my ideal pair of colored pants, I was surprised at just how prevalent these jeans are right now. Numerous shops from Charlotte Russe to Francesca’s are cashing in on the trend by offering their own takes. If budget is your main concern, try searching Forever 21 or Wet Seal. At these stores, you can snag cute, colorful jeans for under $25. Wet Seal is carrying a line called Almost Famous that features destroyed details on the pant legs, for an additional on trend point. Color and tone are two other important aspects to consider when buying pigmented denim. If you go gaga for neon colors, look toward Hot Topic. If you want to turn the brightness down a notch, try Pac Sun’s Bullhead Black line. There are literally dozens of options out there for the daring fashionista with an eye for colored jeans. Take advantage of the trend while it’s out in full force!

After you’ve purchased the denim style and color that’s suited to your taste, you may be wondering how to wear your colored pants. Luckily, you don’t have anything to worry about. There are so many possibilities here – you can dress your denim up or down. Brightly colored skinny jeans are surprisingly versatile! For a casual look, pair flashy pants with a loose-fitting tee and simple footwear like ballet flats or flip-flops. If you’re feeling fancy, try donning a blazer with your jeans and play up their color by accenting it with bracelets or earrings in a similar or complementary tone. For example, you could wear your teal skinnies with a boyfriend jacket and magenta bangles. The options are endless! Have fun, brave collegiettesTM.

Photo Source:
Forever 21, forever21.com (http://www.forever21.com/images/model_front/00027186-07.jpg

Betty Liu is a senior at Duke University where she is majoring in Biomedical Engineering.  Although her main interests lie in bioengineering, she loves keeping up with the latest trends on Duke's campus. Also, she enjoys learning about new music, reading and travelling around the world. One of her life dreams is to go to all seven continents! So far, she has been to four.