pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Daniel Strellman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Daniel Strellman

Majors: Philosophy & Sociology

Year: Senior (!!!!)

Hometown: Orcutt, California

1. What is your favorite pattern and why?

Pattern? Like plaid or something? *shrug*

2. What is the most meaningful conversation you’ve had with another Duke student?

The most meaningful conversation I’ve had with another Duke student would have to be the one I had with Ben Rousseau, with substantial input from James Brock & Roberto (Bobby) Sanchez. Like many good conversations, it covered far too much to easily write down. It included theoretical physics, a chief predecessor to AIDS antiretroviral drug, and the president of Mexico. Here’s a quote from that conversation though:

“The main thing missing at Duke is the pure expression of yourself.” – Ben

Basically, we were sharing how it’s so easy to get stifled here at Duke. It’s very hard to not get run down by the pressure to perform, to personify effortless perfection. And when you are getting run down, it’s easy to get depressed, fail to live up to the impossible standards placed on all facets of your life, and shell up. Do you feel like you need to dress a certain way? Act in a certain way? Study certain majors, and follow it into one of the prescribed careers? Do you feel like you can’t focus on enjoying your life, your friends, or having a romantic relationship because you have too much to live up to? Our culture here does a lot of telling you how to live – and it makes living well that much harder, I think.

3. What coming of age tale to you most connect with?

I have to go with The Perks of Being a Wallflower. It’s so good!

4. How have you changed since coming to Duke?

When I came to Duke I was still very much an introvert, and not sure of my place in the world, or in social circles in general. Largely due to time spent traveling solo, but ultimately a change I made in just the last few months, everything just finally clicked for me. I finally understood how I felt I should fit in, and am the most confident I’ve ever been. By now, people who meet me scoff if I ever try to explain that I’m an introvert. Surely not, they say! So anyway, since coming to Duke I’ve really solidified who I am and come into my own as a social, happy person.

5. Who has made the largest impact on your life?

It’s hard to choose between my dad, mom, and brother. Each member of my family has affected me in essential, immense ways, so it’s hard to choose. Ultimately, I think I’ll have to go with my brother, Jonny, because he’s always been by my side, physically and in spirit, through thick and thin. They say iron sharpens iron, steel sharpens steel; he has been the steel against which I’ve honed myself. I consider myself incredibly lucky to have such a loving, caring brother.

6. If you had a pet, what would it be and what would you name it?

A husky named Spartacus. ‘Nuff said.

7. What Spotify playlist do you play the most?

Topsify US Alternative Top 40. I love me some alternative tunes!

8. What are your plans after graduating?

Law school! I may go directly, or take time off, but law is the career I want, so law school will be in my future soon or later.

9. How does it feel to be moving on from Duke so soon?

A little surreal, but everything has its end. My life has been growth in different stages, and it’s time for the next stage. (Often a new stage of growth coincides with a change in scenery.)

10. What has been your favorite part of your time here?

Probably spending time with my friends, ft. the Blacksheeps & Bad Llama crew.

11. What’s your favorite dessert, and can you make (me) one?

Probably German chocolate cake, though I don’t eat sweets much.

12. Any recommendations to underclassmen?

Too many. Seriously.

13. Favorite country you’ve visited and why?

Portugal! It’s like a European-ized Brazil (a country that holds a special place in my heart as well), or rather Brazil is a South American-ized Portugal, but you get the idea. It’s awesome.

14. Who are you voting for in this year’s election?

Bernie. He is the candidate who I feel like in not only the most genuine person committed to doing good, but advocates for policies that I would like to see more of in my home country.

15. What sport in this year’s Olympics do you plan on watching most avidly?

Steeplechase! My cousin competed in it for the London 2012 Olympics, and I hope to see her perform in Rio.

I am a senior at Duke University studying psychology and history, and I have been writing with Her Campus since I was a freshman. Having this incredible community of empowering women to build me up when I need support and to give me an outlet when I need to vent has been one of the greatest aspects of my Duke career! I am so sad to leave them soon, but I am excited to pursue my J.D. at Georgetown in the fall!