Campus Cutie: Tyler Nelson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Year: Junior

Major: Electrical & Computer Engineering, Economics

1. What are you involved in around campus?

Small Town Records (campus record label),  DUU VisArts, Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity, Common Ground

2. What are you passionate about?

Art of all kinds. There are so many benefits to consuming art, whether that be going to see a Hoof ‘n’ Horn show, listening to music, or viewing the Brown Gallery in the Bryan Center, and I think it’s really sad when someone has to “give up” their love for dance, singing, etc. I want to give student artists a space to create and share their art, while also pursuing their other passions.

3. What would your ideal date be?

I’d want to fly in a hot air balloon over the Carnival parade in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

4. What’s your favorite season?

Summer. Especially after these 20 degree days in Durham, if I could be on a boat wakeboarding or lying on a beach relaxing, I’d be loving life.

5. Would you rather be stranded on a deserted island alone or with someone you hate and why?

I’d rather be stranded with someone I hate, because it’d force me to HAVE to get to know them. Once I hear their life stories and such, I’m sure I’d get over my angst.

6. What inspires you?

I’m a super extrovert, so I gain my energy from the people around me. When my friends are active/passionate/excited, then I feel inspired to be the same.

7. If you could travel anywhere, where would it be and why?

I would go to Angola because I’m intrigued by African culture and can speak Portuguese. Plus the capital Luanda is right on the ocean and super beautiful.

8. What is your spirit animal?

Definitely Pikachu. He’s excitable, optimistic, and sometimes a little feisty, which I’d like to think I am too.

9. What about Duke bothers you?

There is so much subconscious pressure to get the best grades and the best leadership positions and the best job, people often forget that the best part of this university is getting to know all the amazing potential friends that surround us. If we redefined the Duke motto from “I’m here to get a high-paying job” to “I’m hear to learn new things and connect with unique people”, we might be a lot happier in the short run and long run.

10. What about Duke do you love?

How interesting everybody is! I’ve met people who’ve published books, saved sea turtles, traveled the world, owned their own martial arts dojos, bred Chihuahuas, etc. There’s always something new to do and someone new to meet. I love afternoons at the Arts Annex, enjoy meeting new Duke artists, and have always wanted to join the Beekeeping Club haha.

11. What is your favorite thing about Durham?

The Scrap Exchange! It’s a huge warehouse full of recycled materials that are great for creating art.

12. What is your greatest weakness or strength?

My greatest weakness is that I’m super spacy. Do NOT trust me driving a car; the last 3 times I’ve visited home, I’ve gotten into a fender-bender….

I am a senior at Duke University studying psychology and history, and I have been writing with Her Campus since I was a freshman. Having this incredible community of empowering women to build me up when I need support and to give me an outlet when I need to vent has been one of the greatest aspects of my Duke career! I am so sad to leave them soon, but I am excited to pursue my J.D. at Georgetown in the fall!