Campus Cutie: Marivi Howell-Arza

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Name: Marivi Howell-Arza

Year: Sophomore (2019)

Major: Arabic

Hometown: Buffalo, NY

1. Tell us about your pageant career!

First of all, it’s not like Toddlers & Tiaras so get that image out of your head. I started when I was 11 doing natural pageants and now I compete in the Miss America Organization. I’ve found such a great support system and medium through which to express my passions and serve the community. My platform (social issue of choice) is immigration/the refugee crisis/American xenophobia altogether. Since interview and and onstage question make up a combined 45% of my score, I get to talk about these issues A LOT. I sing Broadway for my talent and love performing  in general. When I was a senior in high school, I was Miss Empire Star and went on to place in the top 10 as the youngest contestant at Miss New York, the state preliminary to Miss America. Just yesterday, I began competing again in NC and placed 2nd runner up to the Miss Garner title. I can’t wait to keep competing this year!

2. What has been your favorite aspect of Duke so far?

This is a ridiculously hard question since everyone who knows me well knows I’m obsessed with Duke. If I had to pick, I would honestly say the professors. I went to an all girls’ high school that had amazing, hands-on, caring faculty and was used to having that close relationship with my teachers. I’m glad I’ve been able to find a similar dynamic here at Duke. Plus, most of the professors have done some pretty insanely cool things with their lives. It’s incredible that we get to learn from them and get to know them personally.

3. If I were a genie and could grant you one wish, what would it be?

More hours in the day. There simply aren’t enough.

4. Thoughts on West Union?

Don’t get me wrong–it’s awesome. The food is great for the most part (shoutout to the mac & cheese at The Skillet!) I guess I’m just a little salty that Merchants on Points got kind of screwed because of it. Just like any dining hall, it is starting to get a little old for me. But it’s a great place to chill.

5. What’s your favorite study spot on campus?

The Link is the perfect balance of quiet and social time. You can go alone, you can go with a friend, either way it’s an upbeat space where you can passively do some homework or hardcore concentrate on a paper.

6. Speaking of studying… What do you like to do when you’re not studying?

Well…this is kind of a basic answer but I truly enjoy throwing on some sweatpants, getting under the covers, and binge-watching Netflix.

Priyanka is currently a student at Duke University. She was born in Berkeley, California, but grew up in Durham, North Carolina. When she's not taking pictures, she's usually designing flyers or coding. Follow her on Twitter, Instagram, and Vine.