Campus Cutie: Katya Khlystova

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Name: Katya Khlystova

Major: Neuroscience and Linguistics

Year: 2019

Hometown: Chapel Hill, NC

1. What do you think you’ll be doing in 10 years?

Wouldn’t I love to know the answer to that question?? Ideally I’d be doing something that meshes neuroscience, linguistics, and working with kids – so possibly studying the brain pathways of multilingual language acquisition in children.

2. What’s your biggest guilty pleasure?

Recently, it’s been dancing my heart out in my room to Ariana Grande’s album, “Dangerous Woman.”

3. What’s the best thing about not being a freshman anymore?

Living on west campus and having a large meal plan. Hands down.

4. Tell me a funny story about yourself.

Once, in the summer before my 5th grade, I decided I could bike down a really steep hill near my home without using my brakes – at one point, I needed to get on a perpendicular road, which I attempted to do while following my goal of not using brakes. Needless to say, the laws of physics are not to be defied, and I ended up wiping out on the road, doing a perfect somersault over the handlebars and catching myself on my hands and face. As it turns out, I broke my jaw and fractured my mandible, and needed 32 stitches to patch up my chin. This may not sound like a funny story, but because the laceration on my chin could only be covered by a large Band-Aid, no one in the emergency room took me seriously… but the look on their faces when they removed the Band-Aid and saw the damage done was pretty priceless.

5. Who has been your biggest role model?

My mom. She, in my opinion, is the true definition of a selfless person who asks for very little in return. Thinking of all the sacrifices she has made for my family always makes me tear up.

6. What can’t you survive the day without?

Joe’s (Joe Van Gogh’s, because apparently not everyone calls it that, lookin’ at you Sarah)

7. F***, marry, kill: Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Draco Malfoy

F***: Draco Malfoy

Marry: Ron Weasley

Kill: Harry Potter

8. What is the worst part about studying abroad?

Not having the simple comforts of home – a certain brand of cereal, a particular favorite meal – but at the same time, this allows you to explore so many new things. Also, since you’re abroad, there’s a huge pressure to get out and see everything there is to see; for example, when I was studying in Oxford this summer, I travelled to London, Paris, and Amsterdam all in the first couple of weeks, which was effectively extremely exhausting. Don’t get me wrong, I have absolutely no regrets visiting these places and they were all amazing experiences — it’s just nice to be able to stay in and watch TV once in a while and not feel guilty about wasting one of your precious weeks abroad.

9. What song of the summer can’t you let go of yet?

“Into You” by Ariana Grande. Honestly, can’t get over her Dangerous Woman album – I’ve been listening to it an embarrassing amount. See #2.

10. Chocolate or vanilla?

It depends on my mood. Something about vanilla is very refreshing – but chocolate is much more of a comfort food, so I’ll go with that one.

11. What do you like most about being an AB scholar?

I really love the community above and beyond anything else. I came into my freshman year with a group of people I knew, which made navigating o-week a little bit easier. After that, I was able to come back to a family of people who support me, whatever I may be going through. It was really amazing getting to bond during our time at Oxford, as well, since all of us generally went our own ways throughout the year, what with different classes and social groups.

I am a senior at Duke University studying psychology and history, and I have been writing with Her Campus since I was a freshman. Having this incredible community of empowering women to build me up when I need support and to give me an outlet when I need to vent has been one of the greatest aspects of my Duke career! I am so sad to leave them soon, but I am excited to pursue my J.D. at Georgetown in the fall!