Campus Cutie: Blake Becerra

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Name: Blake Becerra

Major: CompSci and German

Year: 2018

1. What was the best part about your study abroad experience?

Definitely the friends I made. They are some of my closest friends now and my experience would not have been the same without them.

2. What adjective would your best friend use to describe you?

“Present becase you’re always there when someone needs you, and you are constantly absorbing knowledge and wisdom in your situations. You are good at being in the moment and helping people”  –Jack McDermott (aka my best friend)

3. What has Duke taught you about others?

People can always surprise you no matter how well you know them.

4. What’s the best part of being a sophomore versus a freshman?

The best part is the sense of belonging on campus. Freshman year I spent a lot of time trying to find my group and where I belong but coming back this year I finally feel like I belong on campus.

5. What’s been the hardest part of Duke for you?

FOMO is the hardest part of Duke for me. There is always something happening on campus and I want to participate in everything and just don’t have enough time for it all.

6. What decade of the 20th century would you visit if you could?

I would visit the 1920’s when the US was prospering and the jazz music was amazing.

7. Who is your hero?

My great grandmother. She was the strongest person I have every met. She never waivered on her beliefs and always strived to do the right thing and to be a better person.

8. Favorite quote from a movie?

“Your life is an occasion. Rise to it.”

-Mr. Magorium’s Wonder Emporium

9. Worst song to get stuck in your head?

“We Can’t Stop” by Miley Cyrus or really just any Miley Cyrus song.

10. What is the best way to start your morning?

Having a cup of coffee and breakfast with my friends—just relaxing and preparing ourselves for the day. 

I am a senior at Duke University studying psychology and history, and I have been writing with Her Campus since I was a freshman. Having this incredible community of empowering women to build me up when I need support and to give me an outlet when I need to vent has been one of the greatest aspects of my Duke career! I am so sad to leave them soon, but I am excited to pursue my J.D. at Georgetown in the fall!