This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Do you remember your first crush? The first time you got that feeling of butterflies in your stomach when they looked your way? For me, his name was Darrius. In 4th grade, I honestly thought Darrius was the best thing since sliced bread and I just knew we would get married one day; even though deep down I always felt like Darrius was too cute for me. A girl can hope. But like almost all young crushes, it was puppy love that eventually faded as soon as it began.

Fast-forward 10 years and I find myself in the same place, crushing. But, those knots in my stomach didn’t start when I first saw him, but rather began only after a pretty short conversation outside of Shooters, of all places. Someone friendly, taller than me with a great personality, what more could I ask for?

Despite his subtle waves on the plaza or the few times I have caught him staring from across the room, I know that like Darrius, my crush may never be anything more than a crush. His athletic status on campus attracts many girls and I often feel like he could never truly like someone like me. With two years left to go who knows what will happen. For now, I’ll continue to enjoy the subtle waves and soft gazes he shoots my way.

From,

A Secret Admirer