Campus Celebrity: MaryEllen “Mellen the Diver” Targonski

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

How did you get into diving?

When I quit gymnastics at 13, my mom made me join the high school diving team so that I wouldn’t get into trouble. I started diving like twice a week for about an hour…but I ended up being kind of good at it. So the coach encouraged me to join a club, and I started diving four hours a day, five days a week. And it all kind of went from there!

What’s your favorite Duke memory?

The very first time I came to Duke, on my recruiting trip, and I met my roommate Catie!

What’s your proudest accomplishment?

Probably being recruited to Duke! I didn’t think that they would choose me to come here—diving is really competitive—and now I’m so happy.

Describe your dream job.

My dream job would probably be to be a physical therapist for Duke football or basketball.

Biggest fear?

When I first started diving, I was really worried that when I learned a new dive I would be so focused that I would forget to hold my breath and inhale the water…my mom thought that one was pretty ridiculous. But jumping off the platform is still pretty scary. I’m not a huge fan of free-fall.

Best part about being on the Duke Swimming and Diving Team?

Probably walking onto campus and automatically having fifty best friends. You have a group of people that love you and accept you no matter what, it’s like a big family.

Describe your perfect date.

My perfect date would probably be going to a really good pizza place and then going to watch a Duke athletic event, like a basketball or football game. Any takers?

Favorite Kardashian?

Scott Disick is my fave—is he a Kardashian? I like the way he kisses Kourtney.

Hey guys, I'm thrilled to be joining the Her Campus Duke team! I'm from Shaker Heights, Ohio, a suburb of Cleveland. I love to dance, travel, and talk to people. I hope that as a Campus Celebrity Correspondent I will be able to introduce you all to some of the incredible people on our campus!