Campus Celebrity: Dani Steinberg

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

You may recognize senior Dani Steinberg from Hoof ‘n’ Horn’s production of Legally Blonde last year. This year, Dani’s taking back the stage in her role as Natalie Goodman in Next to Normal.

1. When did you first start singing/acting? 

I debuted as the narrator of my first grade play, Bob Humbug the Christmas Grump, when I was 6.

2. When did you know you wanted to get involved? 

I hadn’t done theatre since 7th grade, but last year when I heard Hoof ‘n’ Horn was doing Legally Blonde, I said, “what the hell?” and decided to audition. Next thing I knew, I was jumping rope on stage in sports bra singing about whipping people into shape!

3. What’s your favorite part you’ve ever played?

My favorite part I have played was Brooke Wyndham in Legally Blonde–despite my inability to hold onto my jumprope throughout the entirety of the performance, it was so much fun and reminded me of how much I love to perform.

4. What’s your favorite part about Next to Normal?

My favorite part about Next to Normal is the cast and crew. The cast is only six people so I am sure we will all really get to know each other. Everyone is so beyond talented and I am humbled every night by the fact that I get to perform with them!

5. What’s the funniest thing that has happened to you during a performance?

The most embarassing thing that I have done on stage is when I was in a talent competition when I was seven at the South Florida Fair. I had to sing two songs, so for my first performance, I wore baggy overalls and sang “I’ve got a Crow” from Peter Pan, and actually crowed like a bird. Then, for my next performance, I (and I quote) said into he microphone, “I am very versatile,” and proceeded to take off my overalls to reveal a black leotard with fishnet stockings and a red and black garter and took out a red and black feather boa (questionable judgement on my parents’ part) and sang Cabaret. To this day, I cannot believe that happened in public.