samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Signs that Autumn Has Ascended

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

It’s been a grueling nine months, but the wait is finally over. We’ve suffered through a lot waiting for this moment to come—below freezing temperatures, flower-induced allergy attacks, and don’t even get me started about those countless sweaty days spent in the sun—but it’s here. Autumn has made her grand entrance, and I’m not just saying that because it’s October. There have been signs.

1. The weather starts cooling down

That’s right people. The number one easiest way to mark the entrance of fall is the falling of temperatures. Time to break out the sweaters, it’s the season of coziness.

2. But the weather’s not THAT great

The beginning of Autumn is always sure to be a mystery. Is it going to be sweater weather in the morning, then crop top temps in the afternoon? Is Hurricane Matthew going to ruin your fall break plans? All good questions, no good answers.

3. Seasonal beverages are everywhere

Nothing says fall is here more than looking at Vondy’s specials menu and seeing the glorious words “pumpkin spice latte” smiling down at you.

4. Leggings become the only valid item of clothing

Sure athletic leggings have been plentiful for weeks, but those nice cotton black leggings that pair perfectly with an infinity scarf and a cardigan? Yup. That’s all you’ll be seeing from now until the end of the semester.

5. Midterms

Finally, the surefire sign that fall is full swing is the unwelcomed presence of midterms. As much as we all hate to see it, exams mean we’re nearing the middle of the semester, and the middle of the semester means that summer is over, and autumn has ascended.

Whatever makes you feel fall, do it whether it’s going to haunted houses, apple picking, or visiting a pumpkin patch! It won’t be long ‘til winter takes over.

I am a senior at Duke University studying psychology and history, and I have been writing with Her Campus since I was a freshman. Having this incredible community of empowering women to build me up when I need support and to give me an outlet when I need to vent has been one of the greatest aspects of my Duke career! I am so sad to leave them soon, but I am excited to pursue my J.D. at Georgetown in the fall!