5 Reasons To Be Thankful for Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

1. Family and friends

Admit it or not, you’re looking forward to a few days of dad jokes and mom’s cooking. Add to that a Thanksgiving dinner with your favorite or weirdest relatives (not mutually exclusive), and you can give Modern Family a run for its money. Besides your family, this may be the first time you can see all of your friends from home since the summer and catch up on each others’ college experiences. Lastly, and probably most importantly, you no longer have to ask strangers if you can pet their dogs, because you finally have the needed quality time with your own. 

2. Food

After three months of eating strictly Marketplace, ABP, or The Loop, there is nothing better than coming home for a holiday that tends to highlight the biggest and best meal of the year. And, with your mouth full of turkey, stuffing, or pumpkin pie, it’s easier to hold off on answering those prodding questions from grandma. 

3. Comforts of home

From sleeping in your own bed, to showering without shoes, to maybe convincing mom to do your laundry, being home can feel like you’re staying at a five-star hotel. Plus, you can finally sing in the shower without worrying that your hallmates might be intimidated by your top-notch Adele impression.  

4. Refuel before finals

Although five days might seem like a tease, hopefully it’s enough to get the sleep and energy needed to tackle finals when you get back to school. 

5. The start of Christmas season!

I imagine that I’m not the only person who turns into Buddy the Elf the moment Thanksgiving dinner is over. It’s time to break out the Michael Bublé Christmas album and ugly sweaters and start looking forward to the decorations, the cookies, and of course, ABC Family’s 25 Days of Christmas.