Take Advantage of Your Three Day Sleepend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

With Martin Luther King Jr Day this Monday, DU students are celebrating a great man and  a three day weekend. But rather than spend your time binge-watching The Office (again), here’s a few unique ideas to get your butt out of bed and take part in your local community!

1. Friday Night: See a play

For this Friday only, the DU Theatre Department is performing a staged reading of True West, a play by American playwright Sam Shepard. Taking place at Byron Theatre at 7:30pm, you can watch freshman Mikah Conway and senior Eric Fellenstein duke it out as two estranged brothers further torn apart by a screenplay…and stolen items. “Watch out for the toasters,” says Anthony Adu, who plays Saul in the production. “The play brings up so much conversation about masculinity and family, and it is phenomenal to watch the two brothers learn about that.” The price of sibling rivalry is absolutely free (in this case) so make sure enjoy a wallet-easy night!

2. Saturday Afternoon: Star Wars in a new light

If you need more Star Wars in your life after watching Rogue One, this new Denver Art Museum exhibition is for you! Come up close and personal with over seventy different costumes and concept art, and explore how a costume goes from an idea, to a drawing, to fabric and thread. This exhibit will set you back twenty-eight dollars (or five dollars if you are still eighteen and under), but treat yo’self for finishing twenty percent of winter quarter! Can’t make it this weekend?  This Star Wars “couture” will be on exhibit until April 2nd.  

3. Sunday Evening: See your Mummy

No, we’re not talking your  biological one! The Denver Museum of  Nature and Science’s exhibi, Mummies: New Secrets from the Tombs is only here until February 5th. See over twenty mummies, their coffins, and burial items, and take a look at how the ancient past is revealing its secrets through modern technology. Tickets to this exclusive look will cost $25.95. And don’t forget to visit their IMAX theatre and see Mummies: Secrets of the Pharaohs!

4. Monday Morning: The Man  

Remember what this day off school is really about. The Martin Luther King Marade (March + Parade) is taking place at 9:00am on January 16th. Start at the Nobel Prize Winner’s Memorial in City Park, and then the marade moves to Colfax Avenue at 10:00am. Bring your friends and reflect on the progress America has made and the challenges that we, as a nation, still has to conquer.  

Claire graduated with a business degree in hospitality management from the University of Denver in 2019. She was a Her Campus DU Contributor from 2015-2017 and led as Co-Campus Correspondent from 2017-2019. Her favorite hobbies include drinking coffee, writing, tweeting, and attempting to learn Mandarin.