The Met Gala’s Most Unforgettable Looks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Monday night was the annual Met Gala in New York City. Although our favorite part is seeing the gowns on the red carpet, there is a purpose to the event. The Gala is a fundraiser for the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Constume Institute and it marks the opening of the Costume Institute’s annual fashion exhibit. Each ticket is worth $25,000 and all of your Hollywood favorites are sure to make an appearance. The theme of the exhibit this year is “China: Through the Looking Glass.” Most of the celebrities embraced this theme in their beautiful outfit choices. Unfortunately, some were not so successful.

Rihanna stole the Red Carpet once again. Not only did she take everyone’s breath away, but she also took the theme to heart. The designer of this dress, Guo Pei created this one-of-a-kind piece, and spent two years doing so. Rihanna is one of the few celebrities to showcase a Chinsese designer, and we commend her for this!

Sadly for Lady Gaga, she completely missed the mark last night. Kimono’s are traditionally Japanese, not Chinese. The overdrawn eyebrows are also offensive, and reinforce a misrepresentation of Chinese culture. 

Katie Holmes flawlessley entered the red carpet in this gorgeous floor-length gown. This star kept the theme in mind with artistic representations of clouds on the bottom of her gown. Throughout the day, Holmes made it appear she was cutting off all of her hair for the event, but it turns out she was just wearing a wig. 

Sarah Jessica Parker definitely took a risk with this outfit. While she left an impression on the red carpet, the headdress left people confused. If the headdress could be toned down some, people might have appreciated her outfit more. 

Beyoncé made her appearance fashionably late…two hours to be exact. The wait was well worth it for this stunning interpretation of the night’s theme, “China: Through the Looking Glass.” Beyoncé showed off her fabulous curves, quite literally, with a fashion forward and unforgettable gown. The deisgner of this dress is still unknown, but he or she might be someone to look out for on future red carpets.

Miley Cyrus has an iconic face that can pull off anything. However, this dress missed the mark. The gown has impeccable detail, but the large cut-outs make an awkward look. Her blue hair adds to the somewhat off-balance outfit. 

Jennifer Lopez stunned the crowd with her gown Monday night. She is a gorgeous woman who has always embraced and shown off her curves. I think we can all appreciate the detail in this dress, as well as the confidence she has to walk down the red carpet baring her skin. 

While we can commend Kris Jenner for the nice fit of her dress, she resembles an evil villain. I’m not sure if it is the belt or the dress itself, but combined with the heavy make up and updo makes for an unappealing outfit. 

Olivia Sheehan is student at the University of Denver, studying Strategic Communication and Psychology. Some of her passions include skiing, traveling, cute animals, and spending time with friends. She is a campus correspondent of Her Campus DU, and is excited about the future of Her Campus here at the University of Denver.