This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

To the absolutely beautiful Annie Newman,

You are my hero. You are my inspiration. You are my goals. From the moment that I first met you, I knew that you were amazing.  You were the beautiful girl with the adorable dog, and I love dogs. Not only were you beautiful on the outside, but on the inside as well, with your kindness and consideration to let a person you didn’t know coddle your sweet Nero. I learned this about you from the ten-minute interaction that we had, and to this day I believe that and so much more about you.

This first time that I really had a heart to heart with you was on your couch when you thought that I was twenty-one and wanted to go clubbing. Your response following the realization that I was too young was hilarious; and sweet to think that you thought that I was more mature than a 19 year-old freshman with no clue about the world. Instead you, Serena, and I sat on the couch and talked for hours about struggles in life, especially with a specific person, and I learned more about you.

The second time that we hung out was when I was having a really rough day, and you proceeded to sit me down, and let me spill all my feelings out while you listened. To this day, I can never thank you more for being there for me in that moment. The difficulties of the situation that I was going through were really getting to me, and you stayed and listened like a light in the dark. You supported and encouraged me. You were and are everything that I need in a friend. You are what all friends need in a rough time; you are compassionate, empathetic, understanding, caring, loving, supportive, and you give off such a positive energy to people that it’s impossible to not feel good around you.

Annie, you’re also amazing when I don’t need help either. Spending time with you has become one my favorite things to do; from piercings, to tattoos, to concerts, to Fifty Shades of Gray and Harry Potter, I always have a hell of time when I’m with you. We make potatoes, popcorn, and eat so much food. The spontaneous concert to see Tyler the Creator is one of my favorite moments, because I had so much fun dancing and listening to amazing music with you while also strengthening our friendship.

You are so talented, from teaching yourself to play piano, playing the ukulele, to giving piercings and tattoos, there isn’t a thing you can’t do. You make me laugh and I love listening to your perspectives on life. You’ve taught me what having real friends can be like, and I don’t think I’ll ever be able to go back to “friends” that just pretend to be friends for the sake of having someone. Not only have you given me so much to cherish and love, but you’ve also given me inspiration.

You are so strong, despite anything getting you down. You persevere and have some of the most beautiful outlooks on life. Whenever my depression gets awful, or I’m so anxious that I can’t sit still, I constantly think of you, and your sticky notes that sit on the top of your headboard. You have motivated me to continue pushing and trying. After everything that you’ve gone through, you’re still incredibly strong, with wonderful life goals, and so much life about you. You are going to make the most amazing art teacher. That is all I want to do, so I let that motivate me. I let you be my hero, and emulate pushing forward each day, because it matters. You have taught me so much in the short amount of time that you’ve been my best friend, and I can’t wait to see what you teach me moving forward. Thank you for being the person I can always talk to and turn to. I love you with all of my heart.

Sincerely,

Bree

Hello! My name is Bree, and I absolutely love any form of internal expression through art; whether it's writing, music, or art pieces. I am a huge science nerd, I love to read and have a collection of over 200 books. Makeup is another of my favorite things, along with music of any kind. I am so excited to be a part of this club and embrace the strength of women and writing. I am getting a BS in Biology (Pre-Med) and a BSBA in Marketing, as well as a double minor in music and chemistry. I would like to gain a new meaning of feminism and strength in my identity as a woman from this club, and learn to write better.