Hadley Michaels the Adventure Junky

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Her Campus met up with freeride skier Hadley Michaels to get to know all about her and her passion for adventure. Freeride is considered to be new school skiing or a type of alpine skiing. Athletes who practice this style are known as “big mountain skiers” and are often skiing off grid or in the terrain park. Freeride skiing involves tricks, jumps, and terrain park obstacles. A freerider is the true definition of an adrenaline junky. 

• Where are you from? Seattle, Washington
  • What’s your favorite food? Chocolate
  • What’s your major? I am double majoring in studio art and EDP. Because I love art and being creative and eventually want to become freelance artist.
  • How did you first become interested in freeride? “I’ve been skiing since I was a year and a half. I used to ski moguls but it became too repetitive so I tried freeride. I like freeride because you have a lot more options than moguls. It allows you to be creative when you ski and you get to ski some of the most insane faces on mountains.”
  • How long have you been competing? Do you Compete with DU? I’ve been competing since I was thirteen. I do not compete with DU but I compete with the Freeride World Qualifying Tour. I currently do not compete for DU because they do not fund freeride competitions but I am a part of the DU freeride club, and we hope to become a team and gain funding.
  • What is your best memory about freeride? “My first adult competition because it was such a long road to get there. I was really proud of my friends and I because we held ourselves to our own as rookies.”
  • You said you live with a lot of dudes because of freeride… is it male dominated sport? It is absolutely a male dominated sport. I like it sometimes because they feel like my brothers but I often feel that girls are underestimated.