Becoming a Pio: Four Transfers’ Journey to DU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Every DU student knows how painful the college application process truly is. Whether you are applying to four or fourteen schools, the application process remains dreaded, longwinded, and agonizing. Most Pios only have to live through this procedure once, but every year DU welcomes over 200 transfer students to our community. These students come to Denver from universities from across the globe, and each year irrevocably alter our campus for the better. This past year was no different: Ellie Burks, Meta LeCompte, Maya Gershun-Half, and Izzy Noto joined the Pio family, and after becoming fast friends during O-week, they are already starting to leave their mark on our community.

Ellie is an International Studies major from Singapore with an unchallenged, positive attitude. Ellie spent her freshman year at Wheelock college in Boston, but abandoned the institution due to its tiny student body, and comparatively poor academics. Although, she loved the social awareness Wheelock offered, she has never looked back on her choice to become a Pioneer. DU made the process smooth and almost seamless by providing a transfer orientation week where Ellie was able to immediately forge connections on campus; “It was made easier by my amazing new friends and my orientation leader, who really is a beautiful soul who will answer any question I have about DU to this day”. Despite the difficulty of getting her credits transferred, Ellie is thriving here. In her first quarter at DU, she successfully founded and subsequently became the president of Club Women’s Rugby. For anyone who is just starting the transfer process, here are her words of wisdom: “Aim high, apply to schools you never would have in high school. Trust your gut, plan ahead and remember it can and will get better, all you have to do is either change your mindset or work a little harder.”

Meta left the rainy, northwestern Seattle Pacific University in exchange for DU, in sunny Colorado. She decided to transfer because SPU was far more religious than the college had let on, and due to the sheltered nature of the student life Meta failed to feel at home on campus. Ever since she visited her brother at DU it had always been her dream school, but when the time rolled around to apply during senior year she didn’t submit an application, since she was afraid of being rejected. Before coming to campus, Meta was a nervous wreck, but the minute she set foot on Pio territory she felt confident in herself and in her decision to transfer. Participating in O-week was the perfect way to get integrated into campus life. These days, Meta is a part of KXDU, so listen in when you get the chance!

Maya spent her freshman year at St. Thomas University in Frederictun, Canada. After exploring the school’s social, and academic scene, she knew that she had made the wrong choice. STU was simply not what she had expected it to be. Her parents gave her the best piece of advice, “This is four years of your life that you get to choose where to be, so if you’re not happy with where you are, transfer…you can always transfer again.” Her older brother had always pushed her toward his alma mater DU, but she remained staunchly in opposition to following in her brother’s foot steps. After her year at STU, she decided to look into DU as an option, and hasn’t looked back since. She was welcomed on campus by a wonderful orientation group, and quickly integrated with the help of her five welcoming roommates. Now, she’s an active member in Club Ultimate Frisbee. Maya’s story is proof that older siblings aren’t always wrong.

Izzy transferred from University of Puget Sound in Washington, because the college didn’t offer her newly discovered passion, Criminology, as a major. Overall, the classes at UPS did not offer a lot of variety; thus, she opted for a change in scenery. DU offered her the best location in combination with the opportunity to study Criminology and Socio-legal studies in a competitive environment. Through a friend at DU, Izzy gained all the information she needed in order to decide that this would be her home for the next three years. Despite the fact that transferring credits and reapplying for college was painstakingly time consuming, the transfer process ended up being smooth and easy due to the week-long orientation that DU offers. Izzy is an avid participant in club running, and claims that transferring to DU is one of the best decisions she has ever made.

Individually, these four transfer students paint a diverse picture of the DU transfer class, but together they form a group of four best friends that found their way home to the University of Denver after a few setbacks and delays. All of them explained that their favorite memories from the first fall quarter happened together. Whether it was watching the first snow fall, adventuring in the flat irons, or creating the adorable Instagram account Dogs of DU, as long as they are hanging out together it is always a good time. It was this friendship, as well as the support of parents and the welcoming DU community that made the transition process so much easier on them. Although transferring was an extra work load, the four best friends could not be happier with their choice.