Becoming a Better You After a Nervous Breakdown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

The recovery of a mental breakdown can appear to be a daunting endeavor after feeling like you’re at your lowest point. Recognizing that you have had a nervous breakdown is the first step to recovery and will make these next items easier to understand.

Identifying whether you have a good support system or not

It is OK to seek solace when you are overwhelmed with emotions. Surrounding yourself with people that are uplifting influence in your life is important in maintaining a personal sense of self and keeping an outlook that is positive. A support system that is healthy will show loyalty despite the challenging times you might be going through. Even though many of us won’t admit it due to silly pride, having a support group IS beneficial because going through stressful experiences alone might lead to unresolved issues. If you find yourself questioning the intentions of the community around you or that you are facing your battles alone, know that there are people and/or resources out there that can support you.

Expressing your emotions can be relieving

Every day, many of us are actors in our own lives. We go to school, go to work, and create the appearance that our personal lives do not interfere with our day to day activities. Nervous breakdowns are bursts of bottled emotions that we want to express, but have no outlet that allows us to freely convey our feelings without concern for how we may appear. There are alternatives to nervous breakdowns that are less traumatic once you tune into your feelings. Some healthy alternatives to nervous breakdowns might include journaling at moments of intense stress, practicing breathing methods, clearing your mind with meditation, and even counting to ten.

Learning to live for the now

Dwelling in the past can create an internal conflict that sets a catalyst for potential nervous breakdowns. Even being too consumed on the idea of the future might set oneself up for disappointment and extreme pressure. Setting yourself up for the future includes caring about yourself in the now. Don’t you feel like your present self deserves as much attention as you give your past and future self, if not more?

Your mental health is crucial to the amount of success you can fully achieve. A healthy mind provides the optimum environment for personal growth and educational advancement.

Rose is double-majoring in Biology and International Studies with health and development as her concentration at the University of Denver. Her involvement on campus includes being a representative on the Student Health Advisory Council, being involved in the DU Latino Student Alliance, and acting as a moderator for DU Dialogues. She's very excited about writing for Her Campus and meeting other writers!