Air Travel Tips from an Aspiring Globetrotter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Traveling is one of my favorite things, and as luck would have it, it happens to be a large part of my job. As a model who travels around the country and sometimes around the world, I like to think I’ve amassed a number of travel hacks for the airport, the airplane and the many tarmacs inbetween. And, since we at DU have one more long, drawn-out, friggin’ annoying week left of stressed exam prep, coffee overloads and unadulterated procrastination, I’ve decided we should get a headstart on our summer vactions with some good, old-fashioned travel daydreaming!

Hack number one: Before you head out, you’ve got to pack. For many of us going home this summer with everything they came with this process will be a little more labor intensive, but for shorter trips I really like to travel carry-on only. Getting your hand luggage right is super important. I recommend a four-wheeled mini suitcase- hard or soft shelled. Hard shells are fun if you wanna look super sleek because the exterious are super easy to clean when your case inevitably gets some form of dirt on it, however they are easier to crack during the rough trip through security and in and out of the plane. Cloth carry-ons are better in this sense because they’ll be a bit more flexible and they’re that little bit more expandable (even when you think you’ve stuffed it too full anyway). My personal recommendation is a case from either Samsonite or Delsay- both reputable, long-lasting brands that’ll ensure a smooth trip. And as with anything you carry-on, make sure it fits your airline’s overhead space regulations. 

Check out the Samsonite Reflex 2 Carry-On (hard) Spinner 

Or the Delsey Air Adventure 21″ Carry-On (soft) Spinner

It’s also vitally important to take care of your body when you fly. This means hydrating, keeping warm, keeping santized, keeping limber and avoiding salty/fatty/sluggish foods. All of these tricks will help you feel the most comfortable when you fly, and will ensure that you arrive not looking like you’ve just been chewed and spit out by your plane. Hyrdation for me means not only drinking lots of water during your trip, but avoiding obvious sugary drinks. I will skip all sodas and fruit juices, and stick to water and hot tea. I’ll bring my own water and put lemon in before I leave home for a zingy pick-me up. Avoiding sugars will keep you from crashing and needing a nap, or when you’re crossing multiple time zones, it will allow you to more natually drift off to sleep instead of staying up and ruining an already messy sleep schedule. I also bring hand lotions, face moisturizers, lots of chapstick and refreshing face mists to top up the water that my body desperatley needs to maintain againt the dry air in the planes. 

I’ll also bring hand sanitizer for when I can’t be bothered to get up to wash my hands after the dinner service and some baby wipes to clean down any arm rests, T.V screens or tray tables. I don’t want to know how many germs are traveling with me, so I just take precauations. Here are some recommended products I usually bring. 

Palmer’s Swivel Stick Lip Moisturizer is a must have. (Also works wonders on nuckles, cuticles, elbows and anywhere else you feel cracked skin.)

Demalogica’s Antioxidant Hydramist Toner is great for that spruge of hydration after you’ve washed your face (which I recommend doing on long flights) and prevents fine lines from dryness. Win-win.

In terms of comfort I recommend what many frequent travelers do: an inflatable neck pillow and a very large, very warm, and easily foldable scarf. Neither your scarf or pillow cannot take up lots of space, (that’s for souvenirs) so make sure they both can be easily stored away. In the cooler months I’ll even wear a cozy shawl or poncho as a chic wearable blanket. This one from Asos is comfy and cute. 

I have a bunch of little rituals when I travel, but my favoritre it to listen to a take-off song. I’ve curated a few of my favorites on my Spotify playlist here. Sure, it makes me feel like I’m in a dramatic movie when I have a soundtrack to the view outside my window, but who doesn’t want that?

However my best hack is a simple one. It’s to remember that anytime I’m afforded the luxury of traveling and seeing new places, that I’m thankful. No matter how chatty my neigboor is, or how uncomfortable my seat is, how how lost my luggage is, it’s all worth it to be able to have those experiences and see the world. 

Elle Wagner is a sophmore this year at the Univesity of Denver and is a double major in International Relations and Communication Studies with a minor in French. She works as a model for Wilhelmina International and enjoys to travel, eat lots of cheesecake and spend time with her Dutch Family in Den Haag, Holland. She is super thrilled to be a writer for Her Campus and is always looking forward to the next piece she gets to write! HCXO