Your World Series Cheat Sheet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Did you know the World Series is starting next week? I’m sure that cute baseball fan in your 10 am class who you’ve been admiring did. We sat down with a baseball expert of sorts to get the lowdown on the championship games of America’s Favorite Pastime and we’re sharing that knowledge with you so you can look like a total pro and impress attractive baseball fans everywhere.

Her Campus Drexel: Soo… who exactly is playing in the World Series? Baseball Expert (who wishes to remain anonymous): The 2014 World Series pits the American League champion, the Kansas City Royals, against the National League pennant winners, the San Francisco Giants. After successful seasons that resulted in wild card berths for each team, they stormed into the postseason full of confidence. 

Kansas City rode their great pitching staff, led by All-Star starter James Shields, and the three headed monster in their bullpen: Kelvin Herrera, Wade Davis and Greg Holland. As a young, athletic team, Kansas City has not lost yet this postseason, winning all eight games they have played so far. 

Opposite them, are the veteran San Francisco Giants — World Series representatives for the National League three of the past five seasons. They’ll look to use their experience to gain the upper hand on the Royals and win their third title in those five seasons.  

HCD: It’s called the World Series…but are there actually any teams from outside the USA? BE: There is actually a team from Canada in Major League Baseball: the Toronto Blue Jays. There used to be one in Montreal, but they relocated to Washington D.C. and are now the Nationals. The Blue Jays went to two straight World Series in 1992 and 1993 and won both of them, the first against the Atlanta Braves, and the second against our own Philadelphia Phillies. 

HCD: Apparently this is HUGE for Kansas City, why is that? BE: After being on the cusp of the playoffs for the past few years, the Kansas City Royals finally made it to October (the playoffs) after a fine season. The last time the Royals were relevant was in the 80s, led by Hall of Fame third baseman George Brett. They won the World Series in 1985, in a thrilling series that went the distance against the St. Louis Cardinals. Kansas City is wild about baseball, and their fans finally have a good reason to cheer, as they are four wins away from being world champions. The Royals also have to live in the shadow of their in-state rivals, the aforementioned Cardinals, who by the way have won the second most World Series of all time(11). 

HCD: When does it all go down? BE: The World Series begins on Tuesday, October 21 in Kansas City. It will feature two of the games elite starting pitchers in James Shields for the Royals and Madison Bumgarner for the Giants. Offensively, the edge should go to the Giants, although neither team was prolific during the regular season. 

HCD: If I wanted to look like an expert, what should I know? BE: It’s important to note though, that the Royal’s bats have been hot this postseason, with clutch hits (hits in an important situation) on a regular basis.Defensively, the Royals have a significant edge, as they are arguably the top defensive team in all of baseball. Both teams’ pitching staffs are about equal, but the Giants have the gift of experience on their side. 

HCD: Your prediction? BE: If I were a betting man, I would put my money on the Giants winning in 6 games 4-2.

Her Campus Drexel contributor.
Lindsey is a senior at Drexel University, majoring in operations management & bus. analytics. She has been with Her Campus Drexel for four years and was CC for the middle two. Along with living the city life, she takes an active interest in street style, putting together puzzles and binge-watching her current Netflix obsession. She actually calls Montana her true home so now you can say you know that someone actually lives there ;). When she's in Philly, you can find her in Center City scouring the racks of thrift stores, Old Navy, and H&M if she's not on campus enjoying the multiple food trucks or catching up on the readings she put off until the last day.