Should Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber Have Gotten Back Together?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Image courtesy of E! Online

Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber are the ultimate millennial power couple that we grew up with and loved to watch under a microscope in the public eye. What makes them and their relationship so intriguing? Both Gomez and Bieber have extremely successful entertainment careers, respectively, and when they first stepped out publicly as a couple in 2011, teenage hearts were both broken and melting. The two have weathered many storms throughout the past few years and eventually ended their relationship – what seemed like for good. However, Selena and Justin have recently been spotted enjoying each other’s company again by going to church and riding bikes – activities that normal young people do. Many loyal fans from both sides have their opinions of the reconciled relationship, but should the two lovebirds have gotten back together? Was it the right choice?

Justin Bieber is without a doubt, a ladies’ man, but when he was with his lady love, Selena, it seemed as if he had found “the one” (for now). He showered her with affection by declaring his admiration for her on Instagram, gave her kisses on the red carpet and even name-dropped her in his songs. Selena appeared happy and comfortable with Justin and was living every girl’s wildest dream. However, around November 2011, the first bombshell in the relationship was dropped when Justin was accused of fathering a child by a woman named Mariah Yeager. Rumors swirled, but the couple remained strong.

Image courtesy of J-14

A year later, in November 2012, their first breakup shocked and saddened both fans and media outlets. 2013 and 2014 then saw the tumultuous roller coaster of their on-again, off-again status caused by bad behavior, busy schedules and being so young with the world watching their every move. Throughout the years, Bieber and Gomez have both subtweeted about each other and their relationship, written heartfelt songs about one another on their albums (Bieber’s Purpose and Gomez’s Revival – two albums that proved that time away from each other helped them mature) and kept mum about their status in interviews. They’ve both stated that they will always care for each other, but was the romance still there?

Fast forward to early 2017 when Gomez started dating The Weeknd, whose real name is Abel Tesfaye. They performed together at the 2015 Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show and were spotted getting cozy. On social media and out in public, we saw a “new” Selena, who cut her hair short and was going on adventures with her beau. She seemed like she found a new love with The Weeknd, who was a gentleman to her, but fans always wondered if her feelings for her ex still existed.

Image courtesy of Glamour

During Selena’s relationship with The Weeknd, Justin worked on being a better man by finding himself in God and working on many new chart-toppers. It goes to show that when you work on yourself and give off positive vibes, good things will gravitate to you because ten months later, Selena ended things with The Weeknd – possibly what Justin was secretly hoping for. Now, the old lovebirds have been seen hanging out on the down-low, sparking talk that they are finally back together.

Image courtesy of PopSugar

Now, the world has witnessed Selena and Justin crumble so many times that we see them almost as we see our own friends – we would hate for them to get hurt again and repeat mistakes they have made in the past. Perhaps, time heals the heart. Maybe the fact that Justin was really working on finding himself and maturing and that Selena had the time to clear her head and focus on her health made them both realize that they deserved another shot. So far, the decision to keep their relationship almost out of the media has been a good one. I think now that Selena and Justin are older and have experienced life a little bit more, that they may work out this time. We’ll just have to stay tuned for the next chapter in their celebrity love story.

Rachel is a senior at Drexel University majoring in Design & Merchandising. She dreams of traveling the world and loves to learn about new cultures and languages. She also aspires to be the editor-in-chief of her own fashion magazine one day. You can find her binge watching Vanderpump Rules, eating way too much mac & cheese, dancing to her favorite songs and exploring when she goes city-hopping!
Her Campus Drexel contributor.