Review of Halo Top Ice Cream

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Halo Top ice cream is a low-calorie, low-sugar and high-protein ice cream. Some Halo Top pints contain only 240 calories! The vanilla bean flavor has only 4 grams of sugar, 1.5 grams of fat and 6 grams of protein per serving. The ice cream contains only natural ingredients giving it an authentic homemade taste. They use stevia and erythritol, which is a sugar alcohol, that doesn’t affect your blood glucose or cause bloating. It sounds too good to be true, right?!

I heard about Halo Top from friends saying that is was delicious. However, as a skeptic I found it hard to believe. I am always trying to find light dessert options and had tried low-calorie ice creams before, and was never satisfied. On my weekly trip to the grocery store, I made the decision to take the plunge and buy a pint of Halo Top. I ended up buying two, vanilla bean and red velvet. I decided to mix the two flavors together and put a little cool-whip on top. I was extremely surprised with how good it tasted. It tasted like real ice cream! It was creamy, full of flavor and did not take long at all to thaw. The red velvet was unreal, with chunks of chocolate chips and a rich red velvet flavor. The vanilla bean was a close second to the red velvet. It was just as creamy and had a real vanilla bean flavor. I definitely want to try other Halo Top flavors and see if they are just as good. With 17 flavors, there are tons of options. Some other flavors include, oatmeal cookie, chocolate almond crunch, sea salt caramel and peanut butter cup.

Courtesy of Pop Sugar

Let’s be real, when it comes to store bought ice cream, nothing can compare to the beloved Ben and Jerry’s. However, in order to at least feel healthy, no one can eat Ben and Jerry’s all the time. Halo Top is a great alternative, as it is relatively not (as) bad for you. One could even make an argument that it’s good for you, with 6 grams of protein in a serving. Halo Top gets a 10 out of 10 in my book for low-calorie ice creams and I urge you to give it a try. If you are interested in learning more about Halo Top’s flavors and the nutrition in each pint, you can visit their website. They have all the flavors with nutrition facts listed, as well as recipes for Halo Top ice cream desserts. You can also use the website to find a store near you that has Halo Top in case your go-to grocery store doesn’t have it. So please, do yourself a favor and try this ice cream, you won’t be sorry!   

Born and raised in the city of Philadelphia. Currently a nursing student at Drexel University. When not writing for HerCampus or studying loves to run, read and draw.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.