kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

My First Experience at SoulCycle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Courtesy of ‘Pretty and Fun’

I was so excited to hear that our Her Campus chapter’s team bonding event was going to take place at SoulCycle at their Rittenhouse Square location. I had heard about SoulCycle before and knew that it was a cycling class, but I had no idea how different it would be from other classes. I signed up anyway, excited to jump in!

For those who are not familiar with SoulCycle, it is a fitness company based in New York City that was founded in 2006 to bring fun, intense and ‘soulful’ 45-minute cycling classes to the masses. Its studios are filled with rows of bikes so you are surrounded by people with tons of energy who are riding as well. Amenities include a full locker room and spotless bathrooms (showers included!) filled with shampoo, conditioner, body wash and many other hygienic necessities. Towels are free, water bottles are sold for $2-$3 (there are fountains for those who supply their own bottles) and cycling shoes are free for the first class, but then available to rent for $3.

When the day of our class came, I rushed there right after work and walked inside to find a beautifully lit, white interior accented with yellow paint on the walls. There was merchandise for sale on the walls and a large mirror to check yourself out. I filled out the new rider waiver form at the front desk and made my way upstairs to the locker rooms where I discovered a room with lots of space, white lockers and benches. I didn’t head into the bathrooms because I arrived in my workout attire, but I’ve heard from many SoulCycle lovers that they are pretty luxurious.

Courtesy of Rachel Choi

I sat on a bench and I waited for our Co-Campus Correspondent, Ariana, to show up. Luckily for our chapter, she was able to organize a free class for us because she works at SoulCycle. While I was waiting, I witnessed a class getting out and coming up the stairs. Their faces were as red as tomatoes, their clothes and hair drenched and they were panting. “Is that going to be me in an hour?” I asked myself with a bit of nervousness. I decided to suck it up and told myself to try my hardest and see what would happen.

When the rest of the girls from our chapter arrived, we headed downstairs to get ready for our class. I entered the studio and I realized how humid it was. The lights were also dimmed almost all the way, which I was surprised about. I actually enjoyed the dim lighting because I didn’t want anyone to notice if I made any mistakes or looked like an idiot during our ride. Ariana helped adjust my bike and clipped my shoes in for me.

Once everyone was settled in, our instructor, Ryan L., welcomed us and gave an inspiring introduction. For the first five minutes, Ryan started us off with a grueling, fast workout. My thighs were burning within two minutes and I began to question if I could finish. Mentally, I kept telling myself that I am not a quitter and pushed through the pain. We took short breaks in between each set of exercises which included butt touches on the bike and curls with small weights. Our instructor incorporated moves that targeted every part of my body, which I loved. Another plus was the playlist that was blasting – we got down to Lorde’s “Green Light” and “Sign of the Times” by Harry Styles.

As more time passed, the more fun I had and the stronger (and sweatier) I felt. The 45-minutes flew by so quickly and before I knew it, we were cooling down and slowing our cycling. In that moment, I felt invincible. SoulCycle really does focus on getting in touch with your soul and what you are capable of accomplishing.

Courtesy of The Odyssey Online

Upon finishing my class, I wanted to go back every day because I love leg workouts and my lower body felt a good type of sore afterwards. Just be mindful that SoulCycle does not offer monthly memberships, but you can buy a single ride or packages of classes. Prices may vary by location, but one ride is around $34 (first time rides are $20) and there are a variety of packages (5 classes for $165, 10 classes for $320, 20 classes for $600, etc.). To check out the different series and find out what works best for you, visit SoulCycle’s pricing section on their website. Every Monday at noon, sign-ups open, so if you would like to take a class, make sure you reserve quickly!

After experiencing what SoulCycle has to offer, I can easily say that I would highly recommend it for anyone who wants a fun, fast-paced and full-body workout!

Rachel is a senior at Drexel University majoring in Design & Merchandising. She dreams of traveling the world and loves to learn about new cultures and languages. She also aspires to be the editor-in-chief of her own fashion magazine one day. You can find her binge watching Vanderpump Rules, eating way too much mac & cheese, dancing to her favorite songs and exploring when she goes city-hopping!
Her Campus Drexel contributor.