Lil Uzi Vert Headlines Drexel Winterfest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

After months of speculation, Winterfest has officially been confirmed for January 27, 2017 in the Drexel Armory. Lil Uzi Vert is set to headline the show. This announcement has come at a time when Migos’ song featuring Lil Uzi “Bad and Boujee” proved to be a huge hit. There will also be opening sets by EDM artists DJ Mija and DJ Valentino Khan.

While many people are eager to see Lil Uzi perform, some complain that they’ve never heard of him before. If that’s true, you’ve probably at least heard people singing “raindrop, drop top” around campus – those are lyrics from “Bad and Boujee.”

For those unfamiliar with the rapper, here is what you need to know:

Lil Uzi Vert, born Symere Woods, is a Philly native who gained traction as a rapper in his home city before making it big with his single “Money Longer,” and his mixtapes “Luv is Rage” and “Lil Uzi Vert vs. the World.”

“Bad and Boujee” has held the first or second spot on Billboard’s Hot 100 for the past four weeks. This is due in part to the viral buzz it has created. The song has been featured in Instagram captions, Snapchat stories and in the background of countless viral videos like this one.

The name Lil Uzi Vert came from a friend’s comment that he raps “like a little machine gun,” also known as UZI, in reference to the fast pace of his raps. Some students bring up an interesting critique that this may send a certain message about Drexel’s stance on guns. What might it say to the student body and onlookers that we have invited a rapper named after a machine gun to perform on our campus?

This winter concert is the first of its kind hosted by the Dragon Concert Series (DCS). However, it is reminiscent of past Midnight Madness and Homecoming Concerts.

Midnight Madness, held by Drexel Athletics, the DAC Pack, Student Life and the Student Activity Fee Allocation Committee, used to take place every November to kick off the basketball season. The last Midnight Madness concert was in 2013 featuring Childish Gambino.

Past Homecoming Concerts, hosted by Drexel Traditions and DCS, took place at the end of January. The last one featured DJ Carnage in 2014. For the ’14-’15 and ’15-’16 school years, our beloved Fall Fest replaced Midnight Madness and Homecoming Concert in an effort to combine funds and book more popular talents. Winterfest 2017 is the first winter concert held at Drexel in three years.

Tickets to Winterfest are currently sold out, but keep an eye out for students looking to sell tickets prior to Friday’s event. Are you excited to see Lil Uzi? Let us know in the comments!

Ariana is a senior communications major and a writer for Her Campus at Drexel University. She loves to learn about pop culture, sex and gender, and is currently working on her senior project researching communication about sexual health on campus. Her go-to binge-worthy shows are Friends and Sex and the City.