Jared Gelman, Songwriter & Storyteller

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.
Jared Gelman is a 20-year-old music industry major, who knows where he is going and hasn’t wasted anytime getting there.  He is a poet, singer, dancer, songwriter, storyteller, and fashion maven. On October 15, his birthday, Jared released his debut EP titled, “Lonely Castle in the Cool Crowd.”  Just like his personality, Jared’s music isn’t under any genre constraints. “My music blurs the lines of Pop 
and EDM, while still having a Hip-­Hop flare to it,” Jared said. It is definitely feel good music that makes you want to dance. 
Going against the grain is something natural for Jared.  He looks up to the brave people in the music industry like Lady Gaga, Madonna, and Justin Timberlake.  The Black Eyed Peas influenced his passion for performing when he received the opportunity to dance with them on stage at a concert in 2006.  He said, “It was that moment where I looked into the crowd and saw how powerful music really was.” 

Collaborating is a big part of Jared’s life.  He worked with producer Jordan Howe in Ireland on “Lonely Castle in the Cool Crowd.”  Back in Philly, he is currently working with Drexel producer Mitchy Milz and often plays acoustic shows with his friends.  Jared is also a part of an art collective called OWNLIFE which a group of his friends created.  This summer he will be in Los Angeles and then in London in 
the fall, which only means more collaborations in different places.   

How much Jared believes in music really stands out.  It is an escape technique that helped him find his true identity and grow to love the person he has become.  The most important goal Jared has for his music is to entertain while helping people realize that they can be whomever they want to be and have a strong sense of self.  “I believe in the power of my past and the strength in my intention. I can’t wait to be a storyteller and hopefully make people smile at the same time,” he said.

As for plans after Drexel, Jared said, “I’ll probably be in New York or LA, making music and smiling somewhere, wearing platform shoes, not­-so-­subtle head wear, and sunglasses.” 

Download “Lonely Castle in the Cool Crowd” for free at JaredGelman.com.

Aubrey Nagle is an English major at Drexel University. She is currently a Features intern at Marie Claire and has previously interned Seventeen and Philadelphia magazine. She loves everything about pop culture and someday hopes to be a culture critic or an Entertainment Director for a women's magazine or national newspaper.To view her clips visit aubreynagle.contently.com and follow her on Twitter @aubsn.