How to Come Up with the Best New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Every year, people try to come up with crazy resolutions that they probably won’t keep. Here are some tips to help you with coming up with better New Year’s resolutions.

Yes, New Year’s resolutions can be a pain to keep up with. There are a lot of reasons as to why people break their New Year’s resolutions. Whether it’s a vague, unrealistic, or too strict reason, your new year might not start off on the right foot. About eight percent of people are capable of keeping them, so how can you help raise that statistic?

Start small

Setting a realistic New Year’s resolution is one of the most important factors into making the best out of your new year. A lot of resolutions have too much weight to them. For example, speaking of weight, a lot of resolutions have to do with losing it. Losing weight doesn’t always have to be crucial. You can be asking too much of yourself if you’re starting from zero. Yes, with enough dedication and determination, it can be achieved. But, starting small is important. Instead of having a large resolution, like losing a lot of weight, try a smaller resolution, like going to the gym three times a week.

Be flexible

Having a strict resolution doesn’t give you a lot of wiggle room. With strict boundaries, you may get frustrated and quit altogether. For example, if your New Year’s resolution is to go vegan, that gives you a lot of restriction if you just had steak for dinner last night. Try to be a little more flexible with yourself. Tight restriction leads to frustration and anger, which can lead to a failed New Year’s resolution.

Make a plan and make it personal

Let’s take a really generic resolution. The first one I mentioned, losing weight, is super generic and not personal at all. Yes, it can be personal because you want to lose weight, but it’s hard to stick with something that has no value. So, put a value on it and make a plan on how it’s going to happen. If you want to lose weight, pick a reasonable and healthy number. Using that number, set up a plan; you can personalize your plan with time intervals, like “I want to lose two pounds a month.”

Make a resolution you won’t feel discouraged by

If you feel as if you can’t handle your resolution, cancel it. Make another one. It’s going to be a challenge to meticulously plan and pick a good resolution, so take your time. Coming up with that perfect resolution will make your new year a whole lot easier.

Make a list

If you jot down a few resolutions for the new year, you can weed out ones you think aren’t useful. By crossing out potential resolutions one by one, you can narrow your list down to the one New Year’s resolution you think you can stick to.

2018 can be a great way to start fresh again and create great friendships, relationships, and experiences. Start off the year with a great New Year’s resolution you know you can stick to. Maybe you’ll be a part of that eight percent, or even be able to help raise it.

Diane Nguyen

Drexel '21

Diane Nguyen is a Drexel University senior from Boston, Massachusetts. As a Global Studies major and Criminal Justice and Chinese double-minor, she is interested in human rights, specifically immigration and environmental law. She also hopes to volunteer for the Peace Corps and be a part of a nonprofit organization that helps child sex trafficking victims recover from their trauma.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.