A Guide to Philly’s Free Summer Yoga Series

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

During spring term, we shared our rankings of all of the DAC’s activities and group fitness classes. While it’s nice to take refuge in the climate-controlled gym during blistering hot summer afternoons, if you have an open evening, check out some of Philly’s finest free yoga classes. From campus to Center City, we’re giving you the lowdown on where you can get your Downward Dog on!

1. Joga: Sponsored by Joe Coffee and taught by Drexel student and Yogi, Karli RosenMondays from 6 p.m.-7 p.m., July 6th-July 27th (August dates/times TBA)

Image courtesy of Karli Rosen and Joe Coffee.

As part of an initiative to bolster community involvement with Drexel’s campus culture, Joe Coffee has partnered with Drexel student and yoga teacher Karli Rosen (pictured above, with Joe in hand) to offer free yoga classes every week throughout the months of July and August.

“I was excited to begin teaching with Joe Coffee because it gave me a chance to help Joe create a more intimate community within the store by bringing yoga to students. I love the sense of community I found before and during my teacher training at [local studio] Hotbox Yoga. What’s really cool about it is that it’s free, which gives people of all backgrounds and all levels of yoga experience the opportunity to participate,” Karli said.

Join in the Joga fun with Karli every Monday in July, from 6-7 p.m. on the green across from Joe. Oh, and did we mention every attendee gets a free drink card? So if you want some ‘Om’ with your latte, we’ll see you there Monday. Don’t forget your mat!

2. Be Well Philly’s Summer Yoga Flow: Sponsored by DIG Yoga and Be Well PhillyTuesdays from 6 p.m.-7 p.m., July 7th-August 25th

Image courtesy of Be Well Philly

If your co-op has you caught in Center City during rush hour, make your way over to the Comcast Center at 1701 JFK Boulevard on Tuesdays at 6 p.m. for a free yoga class that will help you de-stress. Adjua Fisher, assistant editor of the city’s health and fitness magazine, Be Well Philly, raves, “We will be teaming up with the lovely folks over at DIG Yoga to bring you guys a free yoga class every week […] it’s bound to be the best happy hour ever!”

We’re sure this is going to be a hit with plenty of Center City locals, so be sure to show up a little early, with your mat in-tow. Plus, our friends at Be Well Philly have spilled the beans on some post-class freebies, like $5 gift cards for you to nab some yummy snacks at the Comcast Center Marketplace, and Naked juice giveaways during the month of July. Believe us when we say, Happy Hour has never been this good for you! Read Be Well Philly’s full article here.

3. Yoga at The Oval: Sponsored by Yoga HabitWednesdays from 6 p.m.-7 p.m., July 15th-August 12th

Image courtesy of Yoga Habit

Runners, this one is a little nod to you! We know that the route from campus to Kelly Drive is one of the most popular running routes used by collegiettes. On your way back, detour to The Oval (across the Ben Franklin Parkway from The Art Museum) to get your midweek yoga flow on courtesy of Yoga Habit, a new studio opening this September at 1632 Fairmount Avenue. Reward your #fitnessjunkie status after yoga by indulging in some of the food truck fare. Or, if you’re of age, relax with your running buddies and a tall glass of beer at the pop-up Beer Garden!

Even if you’re not the yoga type, take an evening (or two or three) this summer, grab your friends and indulge in a free flow on campus, in the city, or in the park. Whether you’re in classes or on co-op, these events are just a few of the many opportunities to enjoy Philadelphia’s vibrant summer spirit! Namaste, yogis!

Jenna Adrian is a student at Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA. She studies Design & Merchandising. She's currently paving the way to create a career that will unite her passion for both style and government policy reform. In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, running, and learning the in's and out's of city culture. You can find her at a coffee shop, a networking event, or brainstorming for her latest article. Check out her thoughts on coffee, fashion, and life in the city on her personal blog, & some like it haute. 
Her Campus Drexel contributor.