Gift Guide for Your Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

What do you get the college student who seemingly has it all? Traditional gifts are overplayed and underappreciated – clothes, scarves, socks, candy. This year, impress your friends with gifts that they’ll love based on their major. We asked people in a variety of majors what they would like for the holidays and here is what they said!

English

Okay, the obvious choice here is books. It’s no secret that English majors love to read. Do them a favor by getting something to read leisurely, a nice change of pace from the more academic titles they’re used to. Pay close attention to their favorite authors and splurge on a beautiful first edition or get the newest release if the writer is still living. If you’re at a loss and can’t think of their favorite, you could try Mom & Me & Mom by Maya Angelou, which was recommended by Emma Watson and her book club.

Writing is also second nature to the English majors. Get them a journal to record their thoughts or play with poetry. Find one that reflects their personality. If they enjoy nature, find a journal with a scenic landscape on the cover.

Design & Merchandising

Do not buy them clothes. I repeat: DO NOT BUY THEM CLOTHES. Unless they explicitly tell you they like an outfit (and you’re 100 percent sure they were being honest), you may think you know what they like – but you don’t. Their fashion is their art. A gift card may seem a bit impersonal, but if you know their favorite store the fact that you know they like to shop there but were smart enough not to pick something yourself will be appreciated.

Environmental Science

You can’t go wrong with a potted plant here! A trendy succulent plant or some gorgeous orchids will not only look great in their dorm or apartment, but it will also make them happy that you understand their love of planet earth and its bounties. You can also get them a planting pot, decorate it and provide the seeds for them to grow their very own plant. Same idea, but a much more creative delivery!

If they are outdoorsy (as opposed to lab-dwelling), you could also purchase some hiking boots and the promise of joining them on an excursion through nature. The boots coupled with the thoughtfulness of a potential day trip makes for a meaningful gift they’re sure to love.

Anthropology

Field notes are essential to anthropology majors, so what’s better than a place to scribble them down? You can’t go wrong with a journal with a cover of a map or scenery from a country or culture that interests them. A subscription to National Geographic or a membership to the American Anthropological Association will also make a great gift.

Business

Every business major needs a professional laptop case to bring to and from co-op. A simple monochromatic case is perfect and you can find one in any price range, color or brand. Desk accessories are also practical gifts for these busy bees. Pottery Barn makes adorable organizational items that will not only keep their desks neat, but will also add some flavor to their workspace. A good blazer, comfy flats or gift card to a store that sells business attire, such as H&M, are also welcome alternatives.

History

The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th Edition is essential for every history major so that their papers are in perfect condition. If you know what eras or areas interest them, you can also get them a book of quick facts on the subject. Anything Hamilton is also fair game – the book, the soundtrack or tickets to a show will all suffice.

Don’t give gifts that will be returned after the holidays! The suggestions above are practical presents that can be used and enjoyed – after all, real life college students requested them. Did your major make the list? If not, tell us what you’d like for the holidays in the comments!

Image Cover | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

Ariana is a senior communications major and a writer for Her Campus at Drexel University. She loves to learn about pop culture, sex and gender, and is currently working on her senior project researching communication about sexual health on campus. Her go-to binge-worthy shows are Friends and Sex and the City.