Eva Zhou, President of Sigma Psi Zeta Sorority

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

When Eva Zhou, an architecture major from Philadelphia, decided to rush the Asian interest sorority Sigma Psi Zeta during her sophomore year she didn’t think much of it in the beginning. She just knew that joining the organization was a good way to meet people. Two years have passed since she rushed and she is now the President of the Drexel chapter of her sorority. Being a part of Sigma Psi Zeta has helped her grow in ways she didn’t expect.

“My main job is to make sure the sorority is running and that each member is doing their job. I also aim to foster a supportive environment within the sorority and create opportunities of growth for everyone,” Eva said. In addition to trying to accomplish such lofty goals, Eva helps Sigma Psi Zeta increase awareness for domestic violence issues and raise money to donate to women’s shelters in the area and agencies like Women Against Abuse (WAA).

Many of their events on campus are held to educate the Drexel community about this important topic. One of Sigma Psi Zeta’s biggest programs of the year is their annual Take Back the Night event. This spring was the twelfth year that they have hosted it. Speakers were invited from different organizations including the Drexel Police Department, The Creative Group and ROAR for Good. A raffle was held to raise money for WAA and a candlelight vigil was held in remembrance of all the victims of domestic violence.

According to Eva, being the president of a sorority entails helping your sisters’ ideas come to life. Having the opportunity to support other members in this way is one of the best parts of her job. The most difficult part is trying to appease everyone in the organization. “In a group of people with different backgrounds and different mindsets, it’s hard to please everyone. As the president, I have to remain unbiased and make the fairest judgment.” Luckily she has other executive board members who discuss important issues with her and vote on them.

Being a part of Sigma Psi Zeta has made Eva’s time at Drexel all the more memorable and helped her increase her communication, organization and planning skills. She was able to expand her network by meeting people outside of her architecture classes. “I know that I am a part of something bigger than myself … The connections I have now would never have been possible if it wasn’t for Sigma.” Being a part of this organization has helped her gain the confidence to achieve her future goals.

When she graduates in 2018, Eva plans on working in an architecture firm that focuses on urban development and hopes to one day earn her master’s degree in urban planning. She loves traveling to new places and trying out the traditional dishes that are served there.

Follow Drexel Sigma on Facebook and Instagram for updates on their events and to learn more about their sisterhood.

Sarah is a Marketing and Technology & Innovation Management major from Brooklyn, NY. In her free time she enjoys reading lifestyle/fashion/beauty blogs and literature, trying to get her life together, watching Netflix, and spending an unhealthy amount of time on social media. 
Her Campus Drexel contributor.