bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

It is getting warmer out here in Philadelphia and that means you can finally run comfortably outside! To all the runners out there, we have been waiting for this for so long. Whether you stuck with the treadmill or braved the cold, spring means running outside and not freezing to death! In honor of the upcoming warmer weather, here are some scenic running routes in the Philadelphia area.

1) River Drive

This is a pretty common one, but it is still great. The River Drive is very long and there are several ways to get onto it. If you are getting bored, change up your route by starting at a different entrance or getting off to go home on a different exit. The start of the trail is right at the South Street Bridge. Another bonus, the view of the Philly skyline is amazing at the South Street Bridge, so you can get some cool pictures while on your run. 

Image Courtesy of Philly Mag

2) Art Museum

Yes, it is “touristy”. Yes, it is cliché, but man, are those Art Museum steps a great workout. If you run from the start of the River Drive, one mile down from the start, you pass by the Art Museum. Tear off the path and hit the steps to change up your run. You can also reach the Art Museum steps by just running down the parkway. 

Image Courtesy of Philly Mag

3) Rittenhouse Square

This is a great evening running spot. Do you not have time in the morning or during the day to workout? If so, Rittenhouse is your place. At night, it is usually not too crowded, but the restaurants light up the area and make for a good running environment.

Three times around is about one mile.  Since running in circles get boring, Rittenhouse can be a good place to do a speed workout. Alternate your paces each lap, or sprint one stretch and jog the other. Whatever works for you!

Image Courtesy of Philly Style

4) Penn Park

Penn Park is right beneath the Walnut Street Bridge and near the Penn Stadium. There are tennis courts, grass fields and multiple small bridges. It is a perfect jogging place. You can do loops within the park or cut through it to get to the River Drive. Penn Park is a perfect place to go if you are looking to mix up your running route and see some new places. 

Image Courtesy of Penn

5Valley Green

Valley Green is about a 20-minute drive from Philadelphia. You can reach it by just following the River Drive path (but, that would a super long run!). Valley Green is a perfect weekend spot. It is a long trail through the woods and there are multiple points to cut off into the trails. If you need a good hill workout, this is your place! This running path is also great because it gives you a chance to get out of the city! Philly is amazing, but it is nice to be surrounded by nature sometimes. Take your friends and do an afternoon getaway to Valley Green. You can hike or run there for a great workout.

Image Courtesy of Visit Philly

So, get out there! Philly is a great city and there is tons to explore while getting in some exercise as well!

Born and raised in the city of Philadelphia. Currently a nursing student at Drexel University. When not writing for HerCampus or studying loves to run, read and draw.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.