This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Women have come a long way. We’ve broken down barriers, defied gender stereotypes, and ignited a feminist movement. In honor of Black History Month and the upcoming Women’s History Month, we’ve compiled a list of eight inspiring black women who are making an impact today. 

Janelle Monáe

Before Janelle Monáe became a Grammy nominated singer, a brand ambassador for CoverGirl cosmetics, and the founder of her own music label known as Wondaland, she had humble beginnings as the daughter of a janitor and a garbage truck driver. Growing up in a hard working middle-class family gave her a strong work ethic and the determination to succeed. Janelle embraces her individuality by choosing to wear a tuxedo when she is working instead of the typical evening gowns people expect female musicians to don. This desire to not conform was the driving force behind Janelle choosing to be the face of CoverGirl.

Inspiring Quote: “I want to redefine beauty and goals for young women. It’s about breaking down stereotypes, fighting against oppression, trying to save the world.”- Janelle Monáe, Rolling Stone, 2013

Pat McGrath

It’s impossible to describe the beauty looks during Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week without mentioning Pat McGrath. This innovator and trendsetter was once described in a 2007 issue of Vogue magazine as the world’s most influential makeup artist. She currently holds the helm as Procter & Gamble’s Global Cosmetics Creative Design Director, overseeing brands like CoverGirl, Dolce & Gabbana The Makeup, and Max Factor. Pat also collaborates on advertising campaigns and editorial shoots for fashion brands and magazines. She has had no formal training, having learned everything from her mother who used to mix her own pigments in order to create shades that would suit her dark skin. She maintained longevity in the beauty and fashion industry, by being confident on set while overseeing the work of other makeup artists and maintaining a calm exterior.

Inspiring Quote: “[Pat McGrath] is not scared of doing things, of pushing herself, of wiping it off and starting again. She is passionate about her work, but not precious about it.” – Hairstylist Guido Palau on Pat McGrath, Women’s Wear Daily, 2013

Laverne Cox

Thanks to Orange is the New Black, Laverne Cox has simultaneously become a household name and a face of the trans movement. Laverne has broken barriers by becoming the first transgender woman to be nominated for an Emmy Award, the first trans woman of color to produce and star in her own show, and the first African-American trans woman to appear on a reality competition show. Growing up, the actress was bullied in her hometown of Mobile, Alabama for being herself. Laverne has used her struggles as a way to help other people by speaking out about the importance of embracing differences.

Inspiring Quote: “I feel like [being trans] was something I’d been running away from my whole life, something I’d been fighting and trying not to be and trying to negotiate, instead of just trying to be who I am. It was just a relief.”- Laverne Cox, Advocate.com, 2014

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Chimamanda is an author and feminist, well known for her 2013 Tedx Talk titled “We should all be feminists” where she shared her thoughts on the gender inequality and its impact on women and men. Beyoncé featured excerpts from Chimamanda’s speech in the song “Flawless” and in 2013 the author’s bestselling book, Americanah, was named one of The New York Times’s Ten Best Books of the Year for 2013. Chimamanda is an example of how changing the status quo starts with letting your voice be heard.

Inspiring Quote: “I have chosen to no longer be apologetic for my female-ness and for my femininity and I want to be respected in all of my female-ness because I deserve to be.“ – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, “We should all be feminists,” 2013

Viola Davis

Viola Davis is an Oscar and Golden Globe nominee known for her scene-stealing roles in How To Get Away With Murder, The Help, and Doubt. Viola is one of the only dark skinned actresses playing a leading role on mainstream television today, making her an important figure for young dark girls to look up to. She is very vocal when it comes to the issues that matter to her including African-American representation in media and child hunger in the United States. In 2012, she made the decision to step out in public with her natural hair because she felt like she’d been living her life trying to embody other people’s definition of beauty.

Inspiring Quote: “In life, you know, they do this in focus groups; if you were in such and such circumstance, what would you do? Well, you never know what you’re going do unless you’re faced with it.” – Viola Davis, RottenTomatoes.com, 2008

Folorunsho Alakija

Folorunsho Alakija is a Nigerian businesswoman whose work ethic and savvy helped her surpass Oprah Winfrey as the richest black woman in the entire world. Early on in her career, Alakija was a secretary at an investment bank but she had bigger dreams. After studying fashion in England, she created Supreme Stitches, a clothing brand targeted towards high society women. In 1993, she bought an Oil Prospecting License, which allowed her to explore for oil on a specific area of land. Instead of selling her license for a profit like many businesspeople with no experience in the oil industry, Alakija kept her license and entered into a joint venture with a petroleum company. Alakija was also able to give back to the Nigerian community through founding the Rose of Sharon Foundation, a non-profit that seeks to help widows and orphans through financial and educational assistance. The oil magnate did all this without a college degree.

Inspiring Quote: “Hard work, diligence, persistence, days where you nearly gave up, but I never gave up. It would’ve been easy to give up but I chose not to.” – Folorunsho Alakija, 2014

Missy Elliott

Missy Elliott is a female rapper who didn’t conform to hip-hop’s ideas of what women should look like but through her talent, made a name for herself in the music industry. Missy did songwriting and production work for herself and for other artists including Aaliyah, Janet Jackson, and Mel B from The Spice Girls.  Along the way she managed to win five Grammy awards. Motivated to help others after her own experiences with sexual abuse and domestic violence, the rapper became a spokesperson for Break the Cycle, a non-profit that helps young people avoid abusive relationships and gives counseling to victims of domestic violence.

Inspiring Quote: “I’m not a follower. I’m not a copycat. I’m an original.” – Missy Elliott, Ebony magazine, 2001

Alek Wek

Alek Wek is a South Sudanese supermodel who was displaced from her country at the age of 14 as a result of the north-south civil war. Growing up without a strong media presence in her country had a positive effect on Alek’s self esteem. Instead of looking to public figures to discover what it meant to be beautiful, she looked to her mother. This confidence has inspired many women to take the path toward self-acceptance including actress, Lupita Nyong’o who referenced the model during a speech at Essence’s Black Women in Hollywood Luncheon last year. In addition to modeling, Alek is a humanitarian who serves as a Goodwill Ambassador for the UN Refugee Agency.

Inspiring Quote: “For me it always goes back to what my mother taught me and my sisters. That all women are beautiful and we should embrace each other. True beauty is born through our actions and aspirations and in the kindness we offer to others. Beauty should not be culturally relevant, it should be universal.” – Alek Wek, Essence.com, 2014

No matter what industry they come from, these women exemplify what it means to be role models. They don’t settle for anything less than what they think they deserve.

Sarah is a Marketing and Technology & Innovation Management major from Brooklyn, NY. In her free time she enjoys reading lifestyle/fashion/beauty blogs and literature, trying to get her life together, watching Netflix, and spending an unhealthy amount of time on social media. 
Her Campus Drexel contributor.