8 Awkward Encounters in Public

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

We all have experienced those awkward moments in public that make you blush bright red or want to cease to exist until the awkwardness subsides. Whether it be a waving to the wrong person, falling on your face in front of a lot of people or being witness to something you probably shouldn’t have seen, there are some moments we wish we could erase from our memories. Our editorial team compiled some of our most awkward encounters in public to make you feel a little better about yours.

1. A firm foot-shake

“I was sitting on the swings at The Porch at 30th Street Station with my friend. A man walked up to us and shook our feet as if he was shaking our hands then proceeded to take coins and mimic eating them like a snack. We didn’t know how to respond since he wasn’t saying anything. Needless to say, we got up and walked away.” -Ivy, Class of 2021

2. What a catch

“One time I was sitting down in Main Building waiting for my professor to meet with me and a random man that I’d never seen before sat down next to me. He asked me for my Facebook and I told him that I didn’t have a Facebook account. He called me out on my lie and I told him I didn’t feel comfortable giving him my information since I didn’t know him. He ignored my comment and asked me to get coffee with him instead. I declined and he immediately started insulting me. What a catch.” -Caitlin, Class of 2019

3. TMI during your time of month

“I hate buying feminine products when it’s a male cashier. I was once buying ice cream, cookies, pads and tampons and with my luck, the cashier was male and around my age.” -Maegan, Class of 2019

4. I can see it in your eyes

“On one of the first few days during my freshman year at Drexel, I was walking down the street when a random guy came up to me and started complimenting me. His compliments quickly escalated to where he was saying things like, ‘I can tell in your eyes that you want to have sex with me’ and other creepy, invasive things. He finally let me go after I gave him my phone number, but I definitely never answered his calls and learned to tell creepy guys off when they approach me.” – Sarah, Class of 2019

5. Long lasting stares

“I was walking to a department store with my friend and this random man who looked like he was on drugs stopped in front of me and hung his head to the side, staring at me with his mouth open. I was afraid he was going to touch me, but I had to decide whether to move and I booked it right past him, untouched. It was extremely strange.” – Rachel, Class of 2019

6. Free dinner in your future

“My friends and I went out to dinner one night and they decided to slip the waiter my number without telling me. So, the entire night, the waiter was flirting with me but I didn’t understand what was happening. Later that night, the waiter texted me but I didn’t know who it was. So, the entire situation was just really awkward.” – Sofia, Class of 2020

7. Ladies’ man

“One time, my boyfriend and I went out to breakfast. The waiter only saw the back of my boyfriend’s head, so when he came up to us, he said, ‘Hey ladies!’ He quickly realized his mistake and made the situation way more awkward than it needed to be by offering my boyfriend a free orange juice.”

8. Keep your voice low

“I was once walking around outside passing the dorm that the guy I was seeing lived in talking smack about his f*ckboy tendencies to a friend of mine. It was late and there was no one around so I payed no mind to the volume of my voice. I probably should’ve, though, because mid-sentence my phone lit up and it was him texting me. ‘Can you please quiet down. I recognize your loud voice. Also, I’m pretty sure you’re yelling about me.’ I made up some lie and prayed that he believed it, but we stopped talking shortly after that … Unsure if the incidents are related.” -Ariana, Class of 2019

Her Campus Drexel contributor.
Ariana is a senior communications major and a writer for Her Campus at Drexel University. She loves to learn about pop culture, sex and gender, and is currently working on her senior project researching communication about sexual health on campus. Her go-to binge-worthy shows are Friends and Sex and the City.