7 Things to Do in Philly after 6 p.m.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

There are so many awesome things to do in Philly, whether it be grabbing drinks with your girlfriends for happy hour or touring the many museums the city has to offer—there is always something to do. Once the sun sets the fun never stops, you just have to know where to look! HC Drexel has created a list of activities for you to do after 6 p.m. in this action-packed city.

1. Pay What You Wish and Art After 5

The Philadelphia Museum of Art is not only home to beautiful and unique exhibits, but also a host to many late evening events. Wednesdays are Pay What You Wish, meaning that there is no set admission fee but instead you just make a donation of any amount and you’re in! Also on Wednesdays, there is a drop-in art class held where you can sketch in a gallery full of amazing artwork. If you’re feeling Zen, a Dhyana Yoga session is held in the museum on Wednesday nights so you can practice your favorite poses. If doing the Downward Dog and drawing stick figures isn’t necessarily your cup of tea, check out Art After 5 on Friday evenings from 5 p.m. to 8:45 p.m. in the Great Stair Hall. Art After 5 puts different forms of music, dance, and live entertainment on display week after week for your enjoyment. 

For more information, click here.

2. Yoga at Race Street Pier

If you’re looking to venture a little farther from campus, shake it up a bit and head over to Race Street Pier for some Thursday night yoga. The yoga sessions are absolutely free (yup, free), and you get a great workout in in the fresh air! So, grab your mat and get your stretch on every Thursday at 6 p.m.

For more information, click here.

3. Center City District Sips

For those of you who are 21 and over, the Center City District is bringing back Wednesday night Sips. Check out cool beer gardens, make new friends, and explore the city with a drink in hand. Whether it’s been a long day at co-op or you just need a reason to go out, scurry on over to any participating bar or restaurant between 5 and 7 p.m. 

For the complete list of participating venues, click here.

4. Franklin Institute

If you haven’t walked through the life-size heart at the Franklin Institute, you need to experience it ASAP. Now’s your chance since the Franklin Institute is extending their hours until 9 p.m. for exhibits such as The Art of Brick (which is definitely worth the visit) and Genghis Khan: Bring the Legend to Life. Also if you’re 21 or over, check out Science After Hours on August 11 for a nostalgic night of “s’mores a la science,” old school camp games, arts and crafts, and more.

For more information, click here.

5. Spruce Street Harbor Park

Spruce Street Harbor Park is one of the hottest attractions of the summer! It’s no surprise that the park is always packed with people having a great time. Whether it’s the middle of the afternoon or late at night, there is always a ton of people lounging around on hammocks staring out at the waterfront. Other than the really comfy hammocks, Spruce Street has some pretty delicious food trucks to offer as well. Franklin Fountain has its own truck selling ice cream and Distrito has its taco truck out there, too! If you are in the area, make sure you go roller-skating at the Blue Cross Roller Rink for some added adventure to your summer nights.

For information about park hours and activities, click here.

6. Outdoor Movies

A lot of Philly parks are hosting outdoor movie events that you just can’t miss. You can watch Rocky run up the steps at The Art Museum or be “so fetch” by attending a showing of Mean Girls. So, be sure to check out where and when your favorite movies are playing for free in the open air of Philly. Grab your besties and some popcorn for a fun-filled evening!

For more information, click here.

7. Sports and Concerts

There are plenty of concerts and sports venues around town. Find some cheap tickets to concerts and discover new bands. Or take a seat at Citizens Bank Park and to watch the Phillies win… maybe? Hopefully!

Philly is a versatile city with so much to offer for early risers and night owls. Make sure you take advantage of these exciting summer outings popping up all over the city. It’s always nice to have some fun, especially if you find your self swamped with work thanks to Drexel’s quarter system. 

Hope you’re all having a good summer, Dragons!

Sophomore at Drexel University, majoring in International Area Studies.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.