This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

The term may feel as if it has just begun, but midterms are underway. If you’re anything like me, you fall victim to extreme nervousness before tests, due dates and presentations. I could be completely confident all the way up until the moment I sit at my desk with my number two pencil. I get a persistent stomachache and nausea until I’m finished the test. The feelings are heightened when I get the grades back. I know this may seem dramatic, but I can’t help it. There are, however, some tricks I’ve used this year to ease this test-related anxiety. May the force be with you this term. 

1. Pre-test preparation 

Before the test, it’s best not to cram. Studying hours before the exam could, in turn, make you stress out more, especially if you feel like you aren’t absorbing the information. You should also take the time to eat a healthy breakfast the day of the test. Working on an empty stomach, especially at 8 a.m., will hurt your performance. 

2. Snack, snack, snack

Even if you eat a healthy breakfast, it’s always a good idea to bring a snack to the test to help distract you from your anxiety. I prefer Cliff Bars because you can eat them quietly and you’re your nutrients without distracting anyone. Snacks like candy and chips that are high in sugar can aggravate your condition, so it’s best to stay clear. 

3. Expect some stress 

Stress is inevitable for some tests. And that’s a good thing. Stress can be a reminder that you’re determined to do well. It’s just a matter of managing it. Remember that during the test you’re in control of your performance. The test will only be a small fraction of your day. Don’t let the stress take up all of your time. 

4. Be confident

If you’ve studied for this test, you should feel prepared. Don’t psych yourself out over the importance of this test. Remember that you can only do as well as you let yourself. Telling yourself that you’re going to fail can ultimately lead you to do just that. Acknowledge how much you’ve studied, and that you’re doing your best. You’ve got this. I know it. You know it. So let the test know it. 

5. Reflect and talk it out

After your get your grade back, reflect on how you did. If you did poorly, think about what could have impacted that grade. Honestly, professors can be impossible sometimes. Talk it out with another classmate and see how they did. If everyone got a bad grade, then it probably wasn’t your fault. If you did well, then continue those study habits. School is a learning process. Celebrate if you’ve done well and work on technique if you didn’t. 

College is stressful enough. We have to think of our future constantly, and half the time we don’t even know what we want our future to be. Tests are a part of college that we can’t escape and have to work with. Hopefully, some of these tips help you this term! Let us know your test-taking tips in the comments or on our Facebook! 

Image Cover | 1 | 2 

Her Campus Drexel contributor.