5 Ways to Celebrate Your 21st in Philly!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

As my twenty-first birthday approached, and quickly passed, I thought about what kind of celebration I wanted to have. Living in a city like Philadelphia, it may seem like the options to celebrate are endless. To ease some of your planning anxiety we came up with 5 ways to have a fun twenty-first birthday in Philadelphia!

Photo Courtesy of Pexels

1. Boozy Bar Night

Make the night one to remember, hopefully! With so many bars located within a close range of campus, you’ll be sure to find the best one for you! Your best bets are Tavern on Broad, L’Etage, Howl at the Moon, XFINITY Live! and Cav’s Riverdeck.

*Bonus: Wear a sash to commemorate your birthday and everyone will want to buy you a drink!

2. Fun and Games

If you are the first of your friends to turn twenty-one, bars can be out of the question. Instead, try something like a small gathering at Spruce Street Harbor, Frankford Hall, Lucky Strike Bowling, or Dave & Busters!

*Tip: If possible, make a reservation in advance, especially if you have a large crowd!

3. Pool Party!

If you are one of the lucky souls whose birthday falls during the summer months, kick off your twenty-first birthday with a pool party! if you don’t know anyone who lives in Domus or Evo, try going to Monarch Philly, (formerly known as North Shore Beach Club) or Lombard Swim Club.  

*Tip: Plan and reserve spaces, especially at Evo, where the small pool can get crowded during the hot summer months!

Photo Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

4. Concerts

Philly is known for it’s variety of live music venues. Look for your favorite artists to see if they’re nearby for your birthday week!

*Bonus: Call the venue’s management and let them know it’s your birthday and that you’re trying to celebrate with your favorite live performer. You may get a discount or a shout-out during the show!

5. Low-key Dinner

If you’re not big on celebrating another year this time around, grab your closest friends and head to your favorite restaurant to catch up. With Drexel being a crazy with it’s ten week terms, one night of laughs with your favorite people will make your birthday just as great.

*Tip: If everyone is of age, have a wine and movie night after dinner!

No matter where or what you decide to do on your twenty-first birthday, remember to have fun and be safe! If all else fails board a train to Atlantic City (or a plane to Las Vegas) for the weekend.

Thumbnail Image Courtesy of Pixabay

Maegan is a sophomore History major at Drexel University who constantly contemplates double majoring or double minoring. When she's not writing a paper, reading or watching Netflix, she can be found day-dreaming, eating, staring at the sun or all of the above.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.