5 Tips to Prevent Getting Sick on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

I’ve found myself at times wondering when the last time I felt healthy was this past school year. The countless number of times that I have interrupted lectures with coughing fits is obscene. I feel mass amounts of guilt as I pass my sickness onto my roommate when she just got over her last cold. We all try to avoid getting sick on campus but at times it seems impossible. However, there are some tricks to prevent illness before it happens. Use these five tips to avoid the next plague that makes an appearance on campus.

1. Buy a humidifier

Dry air, especially during the colder months, tends to make breathing more difficult when sleeping. Air circulation in dorm rooms dries out your skin, encourages breakouts and leaves your sinuses and throat dry. Dried out airways lower your body’s resistance to bacteria and viruses, which can lead to the ongoing winter bugs. Sleeping with a humidifier will, in turn, give you a less restless sleep with more comfortable airways! The lubrication in your sinuses is necessary for previous colds to be completely healed.

2. Be mindful of your diet

With the dining plans and lack of healthy food on campus, it’s easy to fall into the cycle of eating unhealthy meals with little to no nutrition. However, there are ways to cheat the system and get the nutrients you need. Adjusting orders at dining halls or ordering healthier alternatives at fast food chains, such as Chipotle, can completely change your diet. Protein and citrus fruits are known to fight colds and are readily available on college campuses. In addition to healthy foods, drinking the right amount of water a day can drastically improve your health.

As aforementioned, the air in campus buildings is extremely dry. Drinking an adequate amount of water throughout the day will keep not only your throat lubricated, but your eyes will also be hydrated, which can help prevent any rubbing that spreads germs. Water naturally flushes toxins out of the body and boosts your immune system. Eating healthy is also amazing for your overall health and skin! You’ll feel more awake and healthy with a balanced diet.

3. Sleep

Every student has those weeks where they are up until ridiculous hours of the night studying only to have an early class the next morning. We find ourselves unable to find a free minute to sit, let alone sleep. Scientific American states that people who get less than seven hours of sleep per night are three times more likely to catch a cold than those who get eight or more hours.

Sleep is such an essential element to a healthy school year. Lack of sleep makes our bodies exhausted leaving our Killer T-Cells (the guys that kill bacteria and viruses) vulnerable to infection and prolonged periods of sickness. Try to prioritize your work so that you don’t find yourself sleeping for only a few hours a night. Managing your time and schoolwork will help your grades, your sleep schedule and your overall health. It’s a win-win-win!

4. Don’t share

College is a perfect breeding ground for bacteria, whether it is from shared drinks passed along on a Saturday night or even using the same hand towel as your roommate. It is almost impossible to stay away from shared bacteria, especially with such proximity to other students and roommates. As a rule of thumb at parties, avoid sharing drinks with anybody. Keep hand sanitizer in your dorm and your backpack, and use it whenever you can. Establish rules of sharing with your roommates – use your own silverware, dishes, towels, etc. to avoid the cycle giving each other different colds.

5. Clean your room

Dorm rooms and off-campus apartments are typically small, which allows clutter and bacteria to grow faster than at home. Dust can make it difficult to breathe without even noticing. Air filters for your air conditioner system can dramatically impact the air quality in your dorm. Try to clean the filters regularly to reduce the amount of dust produced and create a cleaner environment.

Take your garbage out every day, especially when there is food present. Mass quantities of trash in a small space will allow bacteria to accumulate creating a breeding ground for colds and viruses. Cleaning dirty dishes immediately after they’re used will also reduce bacteria growth.

There you have it! These tips will not only prevent sickness, but also make your life much easier. Managing your time to get more sleep, keeping your dorm clean to avoid bacteria buildup, drinking water and eating healthy have so many benefits in addition to better health. Don’t let college ruin your immune system. Take care of yourself and your body will take care of you. Still sick? Also read five more ways to avoid getting sick on campus.

Sources 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 

Images 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

Her Campus Drexel contributor.