The 5 Hottest Summer 2018 Fashion Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Summer is coming! That means warmer days and updating your wardrobe with the hottest trends! From polka dots to saturated hues, I’ve done my research and compiled a list of five stand-out summer 2018 trends from straight off the runway.

1. Checks & Plaids

Image Courtesy of Glamour UK

This print is no longer just associated with preppy school uniforms (Gossip Girl, anyone?); check and plaids are everywhere – from pastel checks to neutral menswear-inspired plaid, like Fendi! Wear an 80’s-inspired oversized plaid blazer or a girly gingham dress! Try out this pair of blue check shorts from Zara! There’s even a matching top for a cute on-trend two-piece set!

Image Courtesy of Zara

2. Polka Dots

Image Courtesy of Who What Wear UK 

A classic! Polka dots were all over the runway from large spots to small. Designers, like Valentino, changed it up and showcased bright multi-colored and white polka-dot dresses, but remained true to the classic print with the small scale. Check out this white and black polka dot midi dress from H&M!

Image Courtesy of H&M

3. Bold Brights

Image Courtesy of Who What Wear UK 

These are fun Crayola colors. Vibrant reds, yellows, pinks, blues and more were all over the runway!  Stand out in a bright, bold dress, mix up different brights by color-blocking, or wear a bright shoe to spice up an outfit! Check out this yellow maxi dress from ASOS that is perfect for a summer day! Pair it with a cute pair of slides or wedge sandals.

Image Courtesy of ASOS

4. Power Pastels

Image Courtesy of Friday Magazine

If wearing bright colors are out of your comfort zone, but you still want to make a statement, try pastels! Colors like lilac, blush pink, pale yellow or blue are everywhere this season! Stand out and wear head-to-toe pastel or accessorize with a bag! Try changing up your typical blue denim and try out pastel denim, like this pair of baby blue cropped wide leg jeans from Topshop!

Image Courtesy of Topshop

5. Linen

Image Courtesy of Who What Wear UK 

This lightweight, breathable fabric is perfect for the summer heat! From striped blouses to neutral-colored dresses, breezy linen will be your summer essential! Check out this sand buttoned mini dress from Zara! Pair with brown strappy sandals and you’re set for summer!

Image Courtesy of Zara

Whether you are heavily influenced by trends or not, these summer trends will prepare your expectations during the summer season! Try stepping out of your comfort zone and incorporating some of of these cute and popular styles!

Nicole is currently treasurer at Drexel's chapter of Her Campus. She is a senior majoring in Design & Merchandising and loves writing about anything style, beauty and food related. In her spare time, she loves keeping up with celeb-news and binging the latest TV shows. She can usually be found trying out new restaurants in Philly with her friends and finding the next place to travel to.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.