This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

As we move into the warmer months, it’s time to start thinking about new and healthy snacks to try. I know I’m not the only one that is getting sick of winter food, as it typically involves a lot of not-so-healthy options. It’s so much easier to eat healthy in the spring, as fruits and vegetables start to go into season there are so many more options. Here are some of my top 5 healthy snacks for the spring/early summer months!

1. Quinoa with red tomatoes, feta and fresh parsley

Quinoa is relatively easy to make and find at your local grocery store or market. Though healthy, it’s pretty bland on its own so adding other ingredients is a must. My personal favorite is quinoa with chopped up grape tomatoes, feta cheese and parsley. All you need  to do is make the quinoa (instructions usually on box), wait for it to cool, add the extra ingredients and then it’s ready to eat! Simple, right? And delicious. Quinoa is a great snack and mixes up your typical boring salad or wrap. You don’t have to limit yourself to extra ingredients either. Pretty much anything will taste good in quinoa, get creative by adding beans, corn and other vegetables as they come into season!

Courtesy of superhealthykids

2. Cool-whip with berries and dark chocolate chips

Okay, I’m guilty of having a sweet tooth. Being the health nut that I am, I’m always finding ways to get my dessert fix without being too unhealthy. Cool-whip with fruit is my all-time favorite snack when I’m craving sweets! Blueberries and strawberries pair great with Cool-Whip for a light and delicious dessert. Topping it off with some dark chocolate chips makes it even better. Cool-whip is actually good too, it’s not one of those healthy desserts you see in the health aisle of your grocery store that always end up tasting horrible. Nothing is better than dessert, so why not try to make it a little healthy so you can eat it more often?

Courtesy of forkknifeswoon

3. Baked sweet potato with honey and cinnamon

Now, a potato isn’t really a snack…but it’s quick and easy to make that can be a great lunch or side. A common misconception is that potatoes aren’t healthy. It’s what you do to potatoes that make them bad for you. If you fry them or cover them in cheese, obviously they aren’t going to be that healthy. A baked potato is actually a great source of nutrients. Being a busy college kid and only having time to microwave my food, potatoes are my go-to meal. It’s so easy to just pop a sweet potato in the microwave. I usually cook mine for 10-minutes. Try it out and see what works for you! Spice up your sweet potato with a drizzle of honey or a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Courtesy of marinmamacooks

4. Chocolate Rice cakes with PB

The things you can do with rice cakes are endless. There are also so many flavors of rice cakes to fit your cravings. Love Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups but are trying to get that bikini body? Try getting Quaker Oats chocolate rice cakes and putting PB on them. This is an awesome snack to tackle your afternoon hunger.

Courtesy of bloglovin

5. Hummus on everything and anything

A lot of people underestimate all you can do with hummus. You don’t have to limit yourself to veggies and hummus. Try toasting bread and putting hummus on it instead of peanut butter or butter. I love to toast whole-grain bread and top it with hummus and shredded carrot. Hummus is also pretty easy to transport around. Always on the go and not sure what healthy snacks to pack? Try cutting up whole-wheat pita and putting some hummus in a Zip-lock container. This is a great snack that you can bring to the library to have while you study!

Courtesy of Where you get your Protein

A lot of people think eating healthy means bland and boring meals. It’s all about creativity in the kitchen. Don’t be afraid to try new things. If you are getting bored with something try adding hummus to it, peanut butter or honey! These toppings are super healthy and can make something that was boring and bland out of this world. Eating healthy is only hard if you make it that way. 

Born and raised in the city of Philadelphia. Currently a nursing student at Drexel University. When not writing for HerCampus or studying loves to run, read and draw.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.