5 Easy Places to Get Outside of Philly for a Summer Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

So, you’re stuck at Drexel because it’s summer quarter, but you still want to get out and do fun summer things? You deserve a break from the constant pressures of schoolwork, and lucky for you there are a ton of awesome places just a short distance away from campus! We are proud to call “The City of Brotherly Love” our home, and summer is the perfect time to visit different places and try new things. Her Campus Drexel understands that, and we are here to give you the scoop on where to go to escape the never-ending demands of our school’s quarter system. We’ve got you covered with our list of exciting attractions to check out that are within driving distance or are accessible by public transportation from University City.

1.  Jersey Shore

What better place to start than Pennsylvania’s next-door neighbor? Beaches like Ocean City and Avalon are beautiful destinations along the coast. Go soak up the sun! What more could you ask for when you’ve got the sun, sand, and ocean at your disposal? For those of you who are 21+, Atlantic City is a must see attraction! Be sure to check out the beach and the boardwalk during the day, and the countless shows and casinos at night.

2. New York City

There’s no place like the Big Apple! There’s so much to do in New York City, you might have to extend your stay in order to experience it all. Times Square, Top of the Rock, Central Park, Bryant Park, Broadway shows, the MET, and of course the Statue of Liberty are at the top of our list of places to go. And be sure to try all of the delicious foods the city has to offer, especially New York style pizza!

3. Delaware

Tubing down the Delaware River, checking out the pristine beaches, or attending the different festivals and events held in the First State sounds like a perfect weekend to us. You can make the most of the outdoors at Rehoboth or Dewey beach, and check out Firefly Music Festival or the Big Barrel Country Music Festival. Don’t forget to scour the malls and outlets for some good deals, and take advantage of the tax-free shopping!

4. Washington D.C.

The nation’s capital is a must-see place to visit. Composed of rich history and many attractions, you’ll want to explore everything D.C. has to offer! Historical monuments that you need to check out include the White House, United States Capitol, Washington Monument, and Lincoln Memorial. Be sure to also take a trip to the National Air and Space Museum and the International Spy Museum. You’ll leave well versed about everything U.S. related.

5. Hersheypark and Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom

Who said you have to leave the state for a weekend away? Hersheypark and Dorney Park are only a two hour drive from Philly. If you’re a fan of eating chocolate and going on roller coasters, you should definitely check out these two parks. Hershey’s Chocolate World is the place to go for anyone with a sweet tooth. There is also ZooAmerica and tons of concerts and shows held daily at the park. Dorney Park is both an amusement park and a water park, which is guaranteed to provide double the excitement. Hold onto your hats, you’ll be in for quite the ride!

We hope you’ve already started planning your next weekend getaway. Even if you feel like you’re stuck on campus, just know that an exciting new destination is right around the corner. Wherever you end up, go out and experience new things and make some memories! Tag us in your pictures and let us know where you visited. Safe travels collegiettes!

Twitter: @HerCampusDrexel

Instagram: @hercampusdrexel

Facebook: @Her Campus Drexel

Lauren is a junior at Drexel University, double majoring in Finance and Marketing. When she's not hitting the books or the gym, you can find her at brunch or out shopping in the city. Her all time favorite things include spending time with her family and friends, the beach, and anything fashion related.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.