This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

1. Get sleep

Old news, right? I feel like people are always telling us students to sleep more. We get it! We would if we had the time! However, when it comes to finals week, I think getting sleep is really important. If not throughout the week, you should focus on just getting sleep the night before your test. This night is really important. It is not good to go into a test groggy or tired and wound up from cramming the night before. Research has also proven that sleeping on information helps you remember it better.

1. Get outside

Fresh air is good for the soul. Finals are stressful and often times I feel like I don’t have enough time to study and finish everything, let alone have any time for myself. However, I do find that getting some exercise can help me get out the stress. Whether it is a quick walk outside or 20 minutes in the gym, I find it can help. If you’re a gym rat and feel stressed about keeping up with your workouts, don’t. Put your energy into your studies during your finals and shorten your routine or workout one less day. Don’t feel guilty about not being super active during finals – your brain is doing a lot of exercise of its own and your body can take a break.

1. Eat

You’ve got to fuel that brain. Your brain is a muscle that relies on glucose for energy. You have to feed it or you are literally not going to think clearly. Especially make sure to eat the day of your test. If your test is in the morning, don’t forget breakfast! Don’t feel bad about what you eat either. Try to keep your main meals healthy so you get adequate nutrients and are satisfied, but snacking on some M&Ms, chips or other sweet treats is not going to hurt you! Reward yourself for your hard work. It’s okay to indulge a little to fuel the study brain and you don’t have to feel bad about it.

1. Do not study an hour before a test

You should be using this time to relax and build your confidence. Looking at material before the test will create self-doubt. More importantly, you are unlikely to remember anything you study during the hour before the test. I also find that showing up early to the test is detrimental to me. I hear other people talk and it freaks me out! Try to show up not too early and maybe listen to music; this helps me a lot. During finals, focus on yourself and only yourself and don’t let other people stress you out. You are an experienced student and you’ve got yourself here. Do what you know how to do.

1. Do things for yourself

The most important thing about surviving finals is remaining calm so you can efficiently study and take your exams. This is hard, I know. Even if it’s just 10 minutes of yoga, or an extra five minutes in the shower, find time to let your mind breathe. Breaks are essential to effective studying.

My most important advice is, it is just a test. Try your best to remember that during finals. These are not life or death situations. Everything is going to be okay and when it’s over, you’ll be on break, so that’s a bonus. Do your best, that’s all anyone can do. You’ve got this! 

Born and raised in the city of Philadelphia. Currently a nursing student at Drexel University. When not writing for HerCampus or studying loves to run, read and draw.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.