10 Awesome Electives to Take

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

There comes a time in our college career at Drexel where we just want to take an easy class, especially in the spring term. When combined with a packed schedule, an easy or interesting elective can make a big difference on our stress levels. Below we have rounded up some classes you may like to register for this upcoming spring quarter. Register as soon as you can, as these classes tend to fill up quickly!

1. BIO 116 – How Your Body Works or Not

This 3-credit course is geared toward non-majors, meaning no one in your class will be a biology, chemistry, biomedical engineering, environmental science or health science major. It is said to be like your middle school health science class.

2. COM 230 – Techniques of Speaking

Though it is technically a 200-level class, COM 230 is easier than most COM 101 classes. As long as you don’t mind public speaking, this class will be a piece of cake. You may even get that coveted A+.

3. WGST 101 – Introduction to Women’s and Gender Studies

Speaking of easy 101 classes, WGST 101 fills up quickly for a reason. It’s a class that focuses on women and gender using sociology, psychology and history. While this may seem like a lot, it makes the approach to class much easier and more intriguing.

4. PSY 101 – General Psychology I

This class is about the fundamentals of psychology, which is something that most high school psych classes touch on. If you are lucky enough to get into the online section, this class will be a complete breeze! But don’t worry, the in-class sessions are easy as well.

5. COM 111 – Principles of Communication

Have you ever wanted to “explore the importance of communication”? This class is as easy as it sounds focusing on written, spoken and electronic communication.

6. COM 150 – Mass Media and Society

Intro level communications courses are great electives to try out. COM 150 is an overview of mass media in the United States, something that, as a college students, we are very familiar with.

7. SOC 101 – Introduction to Sociology (with Jessica A. Cohen)

Most 101 classes in any major are easy no matter the professor, watch out for SOC 101 classes. Some professors expect a lot more work than we are willing to put in for a 101 class, however, Jessica A. Cohen is said to be a great professor for this course.

8. MUSC 190 – Class Piano

Who doesn’t love music? For MUSC 190, no experience is necessary. Thus, if you have even the slightest knowledge of the basics of piano, this class will be a breeze.

9. HIST 276 – History of Philadelphia

Ever wanted to know the history of Philadelphia? This class teaches everything there is to know about the City of Brotherly Love. While it is a lot of information, there are field trips to complement what you are learning in class.

10. WGST 308 – Queer Theory

The class attempts to theorize the meaning of “queer,” as well as “straight” and “normal.” While you may not come out of the class with a clear answer, you do come out of the class with a better understanding of the LGBTQ community and critical theory.

Spring term is a time to enjoy the fresh air and sit outside, not stay indoors and study for those hard classes. Pick up some of the classes mentioned above and enjoy the sun before it gets too hot! Your GPA and sanity will thank you.

Image 1

Maegan is a sophomore History major at Drexel University who constantly contemplates double majoring or double minoring. When she's not writing a paper, reading or watching Netflix, she can be found day-dreaming, eating, staring at the sun or all of the above.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.