This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

When I began my college experience last fall, I was extremely indecisive about which classes I wanted to take.  I definitely took advantage of Dickinson’s liberal arts curriculum and explored all of my different course options.  After a lot of deliberation about my class selection process last semester, I finally decided that I want to pursue a degree in math.  I have now declared my major and feel determined to break into the STEM field.  

My math major first and foremost gives me a lot of job options after college.  The STEM job market is booming, and I think it comes at an advantage that I am a woman about to enter its market.  And women are needed for most major sectors: healthcare, business, retail, etc.  There is especially a demand for women who possess these skills since we currently only make up 29% of the STEM workforce. As someone who remains undecided about my prospects after my time here at Dickinson, I’m excited that my STEM major will give me so many opportunities to explore and solidify my specific interests. 

If you are a college student who thinks that a career in STEM could be the right fit for you, you have incredible and easily accessible resources right on campus.  Reach out to professors who teach classes in the STEM realm, contact people who have experience in relevant careers, and research information about the numerous opportunities in this field.  Using your resources and beginning to network is an essential component to setting yourself up for success. I can confidently say from personal experience that taking the time to evaluate your goals and interests will make career planning seem much less intimidating and much more exciting.