This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

No one really celebrates Thanksgiving where I am from, Bulgaria. Life, however, brought me to the United States.  Without asking, I had to experience Thanksgiving. For the six-day break I had from college I went to Southold, New York to celebrate Thanksgiving with a family friend. No expectations. No idea what Thanksgiving was all about.

She told me we had a restaurant reservation for five people. To be honest, it felt just like a regular day.  That was until during dinner I was asked what I was thankful for. I felt a lot of emotions when I heard that question. My immediate answer was my family and I pictured them waiting for me at the airport when I come home for Christmas. I also said that I was thankful for my friends who always support me. I also said that I appreciate the opportunities I have because not many people coming from Bulgaria are as lucky to have them. I continued with an expression of gratitude towards the person I am and my life. I was asked a simple question with too many answers; it opened a lot of doors in my mind.

After a minute of contemplating on what I was thankful for—I understood. I understood that Thanksgiving is not once a year. Maybe it is celebrated once a year but this was not my first Thanksgiving. The reason for this is that I have been and continue to be thankful every day of my life and that is what Thanksgiving is all about—being thankful. I might not have celebrated Thanksgiving before with turkey, gravy and stuffing but I for sure have with gratitude and love. 

Hi! I'm Ana-Elena and I'm a student at Dickinson College. I'm an Economics and Art History double major and international student from Bulgaria.