courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Letter to My Best Guy Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

To my best guy friend,

I know I don’t say it a lot, if ever, because honestly it is so much more fun to mess with you, but I do love you. To be clear, I don’t mean it in the “let’s kiss in the rain, The Notebook type of way,” but more in the knowing that I can always count on having a great time with you and always being there for you as you are for me type of way.

I’m still not sure how we came to be such great friends. It probably had something to do with free food. We just kind of stuck together like glue. So thank you to the stranger who brought us together.

Thank you for always being there. I know that I can always call you at any time of the day and you will do everything to be there for me. I’m forever grateful that no matter where I am, you’ll always walk me home.

Thank you for the endless laughter and smiles. Whenever you sense that I’m feeling down, you always remind me that the storm will pass. You’re never afraid to put my life crisis back into perspective. You know I hate talking about certain things right after they happen, so thank you for staying and holding me until I’m ready to talk.

Thank you for always being my go-to back up date when all the other guys let me down and thanks for not being afraid to tell me what I’m wearing is a little too revealing… but not judging me when I decide to wear it out anyway.

Thank you for encouraging me to go out of my comfort zone. I know that I can be stubborn as hell, so thank you for your patience and support. It means more to me than you will ever know to know that you support my dreams.

Thank you for your consistent positivity. Even when you’re having a bad day, you continue to keep your head up. Your strength inspires me to not only keep holding on but also to keep fighting for what you love and believe in. When I feel like I’m running in circles and lost, you always seem to point me in the right direction.

Thank you for always dancing, and when we go out, thank you for not making me feel like a complete idiot for my lack of rhythm.

Thank you for putting up with my clumsiness, lateness, stubbornness, complaints, rants and limited cooking skills. I know that I can be difficult and I’m sure that I annoy the you 99% of the time. I know that I can always count on you to call me out on my BS, for keeping me sane and for keeping me grounded. I don’t know how I would have been able to survive college without you. To be honest, being without you next year when I’m on the other side of the world scares the hell out of me.

Thank you for not sharing those embarrassing pictures of me. But at the same time, thank you for taking those embarrassing and ridiculous selfies with me.

Thank you for not judging me when I’m sitting on your couch, makeup-less, in sweats, wearing flip flops despite the winter weather, and eating goldfish. Thank you for accepting me as me.

Thank you for holding my hand to keep me warm when I forget my gloves and remember that I’m no longer in California.

Thank you for sitting through all those rom-coms with me and not complaining.

I wanted to say thank you for all that you do for me.  Every girl deserves a guy best friend like you.

Love,

Your best friend.

Janna is an Sociology major with a love for sunshine, traveling, baking, music, coffee, and writing.