jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Love Yourself on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

If you’re the type of person who dreads the 14th of February, the next week and a half might be a time filled with angst for all things heart-shaped and pink, but it shouldn’t have to be! It’s time to take back Valentine’s Day for those who feel like their only companion is Netflix – and what better way to do that than showing the person who matters most how much you care: you. Here are some tips on how to love yourself on the Day of Love:

Image

1) Take yourself on a date

Don’t worry about sitting solo at a table. Wander around a museum or go see that movie that everyone is talking about! Don’t be afraid to do things alone, sometimes the best time spent is with yourself.

2) Try doing something new

Have you ever wanted to try that new recipe to further develop your cooking skills? Invite friends over if you want, or enjoy a movie and a dinner all for yourself. Didn’t think you could ever pick up a new instrument? Now’s the time to load a Youtube tutorial and give it a go. Try something new that you didn’t think you could do before and whether you’re the next Ina Garten or the worst cook in the kitchen, you can be happy that you tried something different.

3) Change something little

Get dressed up to go to class or try a different makeup look. Maybe you can wear a piece of clothing in your wardrobe that makes you feel extra confident!

4) Treat yourself to some pampering

Have some kinks in your neck? Take yourself for a spa day! Get the toxins and stress out of your system and you’ll leave feeling so much better. It’s important to give yourself a little TLC every now and then.  

5) Listen to the music you like (loudly)

If you don’t feel like going out, throw a dance party for yourself. Don’t be afraid to do any silly move you want, just be confident. Be yourself and have fun! The only person who can judge you is you.

Happy Valentine’s Day, collegiettes! Remember, that whether you have a significant other or are riding solo on February 14th, it’s always important to show yourself some love.

Julia Mercado

Dickinson '20

Julia is an English major who just loves to write. You can normally find her looking for the next Netflix original to watch... or coming up with her own script ideas. With Her Campus, she hopes to reach out to other college women like her!