andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How It Feels to Come Back to Dickinson after a Year Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

Spending the year abroad in London at a non-Dickinson program was one of the best decisions I have ever made. It was full of ups like being able to call London my home, traveling the world, and meeting new people. But it was also full of a whole lot of downs. Overall, it was a year full of growth, independence, and a ton of shopping.

Adjusting back to Carlisle is no easy task. When you go from living in a major metropolitan city like London where the pace, nightlife, and the things to do are endless, it is difficult to re-adjust to life in small-town Pennsylvania. One of the reasons I chose Dickinson when applying to college was because I liked the quaintness of Carlisle and I’ve had to remind myself of that during this adjustment period.

The strangest part about coming back to Dickinson is the feeling that my year abroad never happened. Dickinson is the same, minus all the new faces. My friends are the same, but it just feels different.

I’ve spoken to a few friends who spent the year abroad and they have all had similar sentiments. They love Dickinson, they love Carlisle, but things are just different. You’ve grown, had new experiences and lived in another country. It’s normal that it may take a minute to find your place back on campus.

Before I left for the year, I wish I had known that there would be an adjustment period. I think I just figured everything would pick up where it left off but a year is a long time! So, anyone that is planning to go abroad for a year or is currently abroad for the year, know that it will be weird to come back, but a lot of people are in the same boat and it does get easier.