How it Feels to Be Back at School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

Winter break was so long that at the end of my fourth week home, my parents and I were on the brink of having a full-on clash of generations. It was not because we don’t love each other, but merely because they couldn’t stand to wake me up at 1PM another day. I just didn’t have any reason to leave my bed. Before the break, I told myself that I’d finish reading at least two books and work out every other day. By January 22, 2017, I’d read two magazine articles and went on the elliptical a total of four times. I’m still moderately proud of myself because at least I tried.

Image

I wrote a personal article for Her Campus last semester about how strange everything felt to me during my first few months in college. Never would I imagine that I sincerely missed some things about college during my five and half weeks at home – the faces that I’d recently gotten used to seeing every day, the inside jokes, the staircase in Denny that made me looked like someone who had never been to the gym…. Who am I kidding? I didn’t miss the staircase in Denny. I missed the elevator in Denny… and the elevators in every other building.

Obviously, there will perpetually be a part of me that wishes that my dog was sitting on my lap right now, but I already can’t wait to talk about how much we all miss our dogs and showers that are free of strangers’ hair with my new “crew.” After all, this is the only time that I’ll always be surrounded by people my age, and by the constant regretful introspection of whether I’m properly balancing my liberty and my responsibility. For the first time in my life, I get to ask myself questions that matter and even hurt a little. And I love it because I finally get to have full autonomy over my life and fate.

When I walk around campus, I can almost feel the neverending sense of excitement blowing into my face even at 8:30 am on a Monday. Being home for five and half weeks forced me to admit that I was eager to get back to the hub of youngsters. Maybe not so much the actual HUB though, since I do miss homecooked meals.

I guess what I’m saying is that it’s good be back.

Julie Yao is a sophomore International Studies major at Dickinson College. On campus, in addition to being the PR Director for HC Dickinson, she is in Chamber Music, Dickinson Christian Fellowship, and Model UN. Julie is passionate about social justice, politics, strange reality TV shows such as Return to Amish, and tea. She is still confused about many aspects of life, but she also knows she has a ton of time for self-searching and finding peace.