This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

Next semester I will be studying abroad in Italy! I have always wanted to study abroad and now that the opportunity has finally come, I could not be more excited. I have never been to Italy and I have never taken an Italian language class, so I am sure study abroad will be both a challenging and rewarding experience. Here are a few goals I have for my time in Europe: 

1. Learn Italian 

I realize that since I have never taken an Italian class before, I will not become fluent during my time abroad. However, I hope to be able to have conversations in Italian after studying and living in Italy.  

2. Travel 

I want to travel through Europe as much as I can during my time abroad. I obviously do not want to over do it because I want to develop a connection with my study abroad city and with Italian culture in particular. I hope to travel to places like Amsterdam, Copenhagen, and Croatia during my time abroad. Who knows when the next time will be when I will have the ability to travel throughout Europe so easily? 

2. Meet New People 

One of the biggest reasons for studying abroad is to expose yourself to new cultures and people. I want to put myself outside of my comfort zone and make connections with people who have vastly different experiences than me. It is up to me to take initiative and not just hang out with the other American students on my program. I hope to put myself out there and make the most of this opportunity! 

Be on the lookout for articles about my study abroad experience once I actually get to Italy! Until then, HCXO! 

Anonymous at Dickinson