Getting Ready for Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

Although we still have a month remaining in this semester, many people are already starting to establish their summer plans.  Coordinating people’s schedules can definitely become challenging; however, it’s nice to set aside time to travel and/or meet up with friends from both college and hometowns during summer break.  As a Sophomore who is planning on spending the entire upcoming academic year abroad, I hope to take advantage of most opportunities to see people now before most of my friends and I are far apart next year.  I understand that it may be hard to think ahead and make official summer plans given everything that still needs to be completed before the semester ends, but even talking about potential ideas could be fun and provide motivation to get through the rest of this semester.  

Depending on where people live and the flexibility they have with their schedules, there’s definitely a wide range of options for what to plan.  Last summer, some of my friends from home and I went to Montreal for a few days, which was such a fun getaway because not only were we able to spend time in an amazing city, but we were also able to set aside time in our busy schedules for all of us to hang out and catch up.  Even if you and your friends don’t have the option to go away for a few days, anything from a day trip to the beach, an outdoor adventure, or even a day in a nearby city would be a really great way to connect with people whether they live near or far.  

Good luck to everyone as you plan how you want to spend your summer breaks.  Hopefully, even in the midst of balancing the time commitments of jobs, family events, and/or various other activities, it’ll be possible to schedule some nice quality time with people!     

Devon Carlson

Dickinson '20

Devon is a junior at Dickinson College, majoring in Political Science and Educational Studies. At Dickinson, she involves herself in a cappella and soccer, but outside of her school work and extracurriculars, she has a very strong passion for coffee and all things related to The Office.