This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

Looking back on the first two weeks of the spring semester, it is safe to say that they were much busier than I had anticipated.  We all know that Dickinson does not seem to believe in “syllabus week,” so the lack of a slow transition into the normal workload, combined with the huge time commitment for various sports, activities, and sorority recruitment left many people feeling overwhelmed in multiple areas of their lives.  Although it can be hard to reestablish a steady routine after winter break, there are ways in which you can ease the transition into a new semester.  Consider the following tips:

1. Strengthen your time management skills – It’s definitely a lot easier said than done, considering the fact that it is always tempting to procrastinate and avoid assignments that are not due in the next 24 hours.  However, planning out a schedule (whether it be with a planner, phone reminders, etc.) can be a useful method of making sure that all required tasks are completed on time.
  2. Reach out to any new organizations on campus that interest you – Many groups on campus are always encouraging new members to join at the beginning of the semester.  If you hear about any new organizations, or know about some that you did not have a chance to pursue last semester, then it would be beneficial to learn more and see if they could potentially fit into your new semester schedule.    
  3. Seek help from your professors- At this point in the semester, people are still adjusting to their new classes, and many students are probably taking courses that cover topics they have not been exposed to beforehand.  If you have any questions about assignments, course material, or more general questions regarding your major, then visiting professors’ office hours would definitely provide clarification.

With all that in mind, getting acclimated back to campus can be so much easier!

Devon Carlson

Dickinson '20

Devon is a junior at Dickinson College, majoring in Political Science and Educational Studies. At Dickinson, she involves herself in a cappella and soccer, but outside of her school work and extracurriculars, she has a very strong passion for coffee and all things related to The Office.