13 Tips for Living in Australia According to my Housemates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

Australia may seem just like the States upon first glance, but don’t let this fool you. Think of this as a beginner’s guide to surviving and thriving in the land down under, brought to you by the residents of 292 Hawken Drive.

1. Get in touch with your dirtier side – Matt

Aussies are no stranger to the stronger side of the English language, and they’re not afraid to express themselves using the most creative wordage possible, so you shouldn’t be either! Think of this trip as your free pass to let your language fly, but make sure to check it at the door before you return back home.

2. Refrigerate your bread – AmieeHumidity = mold, and mold means throwing away half of your bread every single week. Refrigerate or freeze your bread for maximum consumption. Or, you know, devour an entire loaf in three days… Your move.

3.The wifi SUCKS – Noah

The land down under is known for many things, none of which are good wifi. Start emotionally prepping now.

4. Ditch the shoes – Matt

No shoes, no problem. Whether you’re going food shopping or hitting the beach, Aussies can always be seen rocking the “less-is-more” look.

5.You’ll be transported into a scene from Alfred Hitchcock’s The Birds – Waylon

The University of Queensland can easily be compared to the jungle in Jurassic park, and it has just about as many birds – some of which includes bats and flying turkeys. Many of which also include the harbinger of death known as the ibis or bin chicken. Be alert, be ready, don’t get swooped.

6. Bring sunscreen – Waylon

It’s no secret that Australia can get blazing hot during the summer months, and with the hole in the ozone layer it’s not difficult for those of the fairer skin tone to fry. Pack extra sunscreen for when you happen to be standing too close to a window.

7.Bring some bug spray and some courage – Rachel

Most people are aware of the insanely huge spiders creepin’ all around this country, but there are multiple other critters you need to look out for as well. Think cockroaches, but ones that can now fly. Sort of like a horrible Australian experiment that’s gone terribly, terribly wrong.

8. Complement your Tim-Tam purchases with trips to the gym – Rachel

Hitting up the gym a few times a week is essential for anyone studying abroad in Australia, as all the Tim-Tams tend to catch up with you. One Tim-Tam slam = 1 push up.

9.Vegemite is truly Satan’s gift to mankind – Matt

Even he couldn’t have wished this kind of suffering on all the people being punished in Hell, so he returned it back to Earth. Try at your own risk, and keep some mouthwash or soap handy when you do.

10. Kangaroo burgers are bomb AF – Noah

Chewy, yet flavorful. The kangaroo population to Australia is like the deer to us, and the steak is even better.

11. Goon is your new weekend staple – Rachel

We soon came to realize that alcohol is insanely more expensive than in the states, and as such we searched for the cheapest option available. In came goon, also known as boxed wine.

12. Thongs are essential – Amiee

No, not those type of thongs. Year-round nice weather means closed-toe footwear is never a necessity. If you’re not going barefoot, you’re wearing thongs.

13. Australia is the same, but completely different – everyone

We can all agree that, upon first touching down in Straya, everything seemed similar to the way it was back home. After living there, however, the little differences revealed themselves to us over time and some things were pretty surprising. But no one disagreed on the fact that these differences make the land down under a great place to be.

18 year old Trump supporter. ...still reading? Avid hockey fan, dedicated equestrian, aspiring healthy human, and professional stressed out college student.